Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good yogurt maker for a very decent price!, October 21, 2012
This review is from: T-fal YG232 Balanced Living Yogurt Maker with LCD Timer, White (Kitchen)
My family eats a LOT of yogurt. My kids love it, and I enjoy it as well. As such, it gets pretty expensive loading up on all those single serving containers of yogurt at the store - not to mention wasteful and potentially unhealthy with all the added sugars. I have a yogurt maker at home, but it only makes one huge batch, and since I tend to have slightly finicky kids, the flavor one is thrilled about is guaranteed to NOT be the flavor the other one wants. So I have been eyeballing a yogurt maker with individual *glass* containers for a while and thought I would try this one out.

I followed the instructions for the Fruit-on-the-Bottom yogurt, using the Sweetened Plain. With this maker, you DO still have to heat the milk and then let it cool before doing anything else - it *does not* heat it for you. Once the milk has cooled to the right temperature, I added some local honey and a room temperature container of plain Greek yogurt. Then I had some fun and did a little bit of experimenting.

In a few of the containers, I put some of my kids' favorite homemade jam - strawberry raspberry lemonade. In another, I put some homemade pumpkin butter. In another, some homemade fig. And in the last, a few mini chocolate chips. I poured the milk mixture on top and made them all as even as I could, then put them in the yogurt maker and set the timer for the minimum time of 8 hours. When the timer went off (you will hear it!), I put the lids on and stuck them in the fridge for breakfast the next morning.

The verdict? Delicious. The plain portion of the yogurt was slightly sweet without being overbearing. The flavors ended up being just like the fruit-on-the-bottom you can buy, and the surprise hit ended up being the pumpkin butter. In fact, I lost it to my daughter who decided she liked it even better than the lemonade jam. The chocolate chips melted just enough to not form one solid brick in the bottom, making them easy to stir into the yogurt.

The yogurt itself was a little bit thin, probably due to a combination of only doing 8 hours and the honey that was added. Next time I would probably go for a little bit longer. I would also keep one container just straight up plain without any sweetener to be used for the next batch. Going that route, I should be able to get 4 or 5 batches out of the one store-bought plain container.

All-in-all, I am pretty pleased with this. I like the glass jars, and the flexibility for different flavors. The lids all have numbers on them so you can put a date when you made them, but I don't think the yogurt will last long enough to worry about it. I would make sure you have a decent instant-read thermometer on hand to keep the milk at the correct temperature, but that's not difficult at all.

Oh, and FYI - there are also recipes for soy milk and lactose-free yogurt in the little booklet, as well as "Decadent Creme" (plain and Caramel), Greek-style Strained Yogurt, and even Yogurt Cheese. This is a great basic yogurt maker, for a pretty decent price. Well worth trying it out :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012, 5:50:31 PM PST
Maria R says:
I've been making yogurt for about 10 years now. Just a friendly tip... all the additives you put in? They are supposed to be added AFTER incubation and chilling, not before. I usually go with 8 hours during the summer. Dry milk powder makes it thicker. There is A LOT of information on the web on this including how thick you want it, how tart you want it. You can really customize it for your family's taste and preferences. Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012, 6:16:28 PM PST
Though I experimented with the additives, I did so following the instructions. The Fruit-on-the-Bottom yogurt and the Yogurt with Fruit both call for the additives to be added to the bottom of the jar before pouring in the mixture and setting them in the yogurt maker.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›