Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars New Isn't Always Better, October 20, 2007
This review is from: Doors (Audio CD)
Now this is a frustrating release. Up to now, all releases of this album has been a bit too slow and this CD thankfully corrects that. The band sounds more youthful and charged while plowing through their seminal debut.

But there's a catch; this is not the original mix either. The surviving Doors and engineer/producer Bruce Botnick have taken it upon themselves to completely remix the album. It's more like a modern mix now, and the sound is clearer and punchier. Unfortunately, this also does away with the creepy, compressed atmosphere that was a trademark of the original mixes. The balance has swung away from the psychedelic into more typical classic rock territory.

As is common with more modern mixes, the drums are also more front and center. It's fun to hear John Densmore's creative and musical drumming clearly, but it obscures the rest of the band more than I'd like.

After hearing this, I have trouble listening to the original mix's slightly flat sound, but I miss the original's atmosphere with the new mix. I guess the best thing to do is never listen to this, and grab a copy of the still fine 1999 remaster (which also includes the infamous lost vocals on "Break On Through" and "The End"). If you're new to the Doors, this new disc may serve it's purpose, I feel it's missing the aural mystery and majesty of the original.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2007 10:51:30 AM PST
excellent review. i'm a big Doors fan. thanks for the heads up. i'm getting the 1999 version

Posted on Jan 20, 2008 12:50:00 PM PST
Nice. I owned the original album back when it was released (I was 16). And I always liked the way he sang, "She gets...." in Break on Through, in fact we all thought that it was so friggin cool for him to leave the sentence unfinished, even though everyone filled it in with "high" or some sexual reference. A few years back I finally bought the cd (I don't know the year of its release) and was disappointed to play one of my favorites from the album and hear..."She gets *high*". First it takes a little of the mystery away from the line; but worse than that, it doesn't even sound like it belongs there, sounds like it was "injected" into the song. Do you know of a release which retains the original vinyl version? I compare that flaw with the way that the stutter-like intro to "Looking Thru You" is absent on the British release of Rubber Soul. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 10:41:49 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2008 10:42:16 AM PST]

Posted on Aug 3, 2008 2:02:30 AM PDT
Dallas says:
Thanks for the info, I've still got all their albums on Vinyl so for my long overdue upgrade to CD, I'll be getting the 1999 version.

Posted on Nov 1, 2008 9:33:19 PM PDT
Where do you get the 1999 version, Amazon seems to only list the newer one...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 3:50:23 PM PST
You might need to find an older CD, possibly the 1988 remaster, and you may need to look in the used-CD shops. I, for one, like the changes made--I always thought it was ridiculous for the word "high" to be edited out (and just think of the trouble the band got in for doing "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan Show and singing "Girl, we couldn't get much higher" after being asked by the producers to sing "Girl, we couldn't get much better"--they were not asked back again). I realise the editing lent some mystery to the song back in 1967, but these are different times. Plus, you've got to look at the other positive--the album is now mastered at the correct speed, after seeming to be a little flat for the last 40 years, and you now have Jim's "f**k the mother, kill the father" grunts through the penultimate instrumental passage of "The End" (previously only heard in the mix used for the soundtrack of "Apocalypse Now").

However, if you prefer the original, unremixed version, I'd recommend the 1988 CD.

Posted on Aug 17, 2016 4:39:22 AM PDT
Great review, and you've answered a question I had about the remastering and the "modernizing" of the work. IMO, ALL art should be treated as art and presented in a manner consistent with the period in which it was created. The changes are akin to enhancing resolution on a Hopper painting. I think it's done for the "headphone generation", and I hate it!
I've also noticed that on certain remastering efforts, what was once left or right channel vocals are now centered ( Listen to certain Beatles albums and you'll see what I mean)
I guess I'll stick with the CD version I have that is corrected for time and pace. Thanks again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Matthew Comegys
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Ueda, Nagano, Japan