Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2020
I was hesitant to purchase this cookbook. When I saw it in my BookBub email, it only had two reviews that netted it at 3.5 score. But after a look at the table of contents which showed the organization and the recipe titles, I decided to purchase. I am glad that I did. I think the book is well organized, and I like that it is actually split into non-traditional categories, like no-cook dishes (perfect for summer, even if some have long ingredient lists), 5-ingredient dishes (when you want to keep it simple), and slow cooker/pressure cooker recipes. I will admit that sometimes I do choose recipes simply based on how I can make them (without heating the kitchen or using a favorite appliance), just as she has delineated them!

There's a nice introductory section where she gives you some ideas of things to keep on hand, both food and equipment. I like how she encourages you to get more out of leftovers and using your freezer. Not every recipe has a photo, but the photos that are included are beautifully shot and give you a perfect idea of what the dish should look like; if only all cookbook photos were that well done.

Aside from the organization, I ultimately decided to buy the book because the recipe titles revealed dishes that I thought sounded good, using some of my favorite ingredients. I like that many of them are vegetarian friendly. Some recipes were very simple, perhaps not really even needing a proper recipe, like Avocado Toast (though perhaps a new cook needs that direction). Others are classics that have been in many cookbooks, like potato salad and deviled eggs, though the author does give her own spins on these—just slightly different enough to make me want to give them a try. A fair amount of recipes seemed unique to the author. I liked that each recipe had a headnote as I always like to learn more about how a recipe came about or any specific hints are tips; I like the way they set a tone for a recipe. Some recipes actually did have further tips at the bottom, including shopping tips, leftover suggestions, and pairings with other dishes in the book. All in all, I thought the recipes looked good even if they all aren't simple, and I actually plan on trying to make a few soon!
0Comment Report abuse Permalink