Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 29, 2012
I've had the projector for 2 months now. I'm quite satisfied with the product considering the price I paid (refurb)

Here's actual breakdown of real comsumer usecase set up with a home theater, home computer, and an Onkyo multimedia receiver. The unit is mounted on the ceiling 18 feet from the screen in a darkend basement. Actual projection footprint of screen is 120 inch diagonal on a 4:3 setting.

PRO:
> Color is superior.Great ability to customize contrast, hue, and all sort of projection aspects.
HD conversion is VERY good considering the hoops I had to jump through.
> Its small and lightweight. Easy to mount.
> Interface signal auto-detection is quite convenient.
> Lumens are perfect for a dark basement setup.
> My 18' projection setup actual extends to ~145 inch diagonal on letter box but I can't install a larger screen to
accommodate.
> Great coverage with factory remote and Harmony remote. 45 degrees plus.
> Composite to RGB interface supports HDMI quite well. Why am I doing this? Read on...

CON:
> The projector is HDMI 1.4 only! It is not HDMI 1.3 backwards compatible. I have an inwall 1.3 HDMI cable and I
never saw this limitation in the fine print. My Onkyo receiver and bluray player suffers from the limitation. Poor me
but I'll live with it. That means no 3D as a result.
> NO HORIZONTAL KEYSTONE! If you are using this for home theater and have to mount at least 1 foot off perfect center, expect at least a 5 inch skew.
> The fan is fairly noisy. More noisy than I expected but I turn up the volume on the movies and I don't notice it.
> There is a rainbow effect, however, I hardly notice it except for high contrast dark scenes.

I can't beat the price for the quality of the picture. I'm sticking with it for now and I'm living with composite cabling conversion having to
avoid tearing out my ceiling to install HDMI 1.4 cabling.

---------------------------------------------------
SIX MONTHS SINCE HAVING IT - 130 HOURS INTO SERVICE
---------------------------------------------------

So I'm not a big in-season football fan. I usually will watch the games on my regular flat screen upstairs. Since my team made it to the playoffs this year, I started to watch the playoffs in the basement on the projector.

The first thing to note is that 1080P displayed via WXGA projectiopn isn't comparable to flatscreen 1080P. Not a huge issue. I pretty much knew this doing the research but going on a great deal for this projector.

What I "DO" notice that I didn't expect to see is the high pixelation the faster the action shots were during the football game.

Fast running shots or panning against all the colors and shapes in the crowd, the screen refresh rate in the project is challenged. I think it must be screen refresh compatability conflict with the cable box. It has to be as standard movies through CD and Bluray look great.

Still love it for the price I got, however, I can't increase the star rating to "four" from "three" from teh perspective of a cable TV consumer perspective. The HDMI1.4 limitation I ran into and the absense of horizontal keystone were big limitations preventing me from utilizing a lot of options.
13 helpful votes