Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon kidsevergreen kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now FFII_gno

on February 27, 2009
I bought this to replace a Verizon-provided Westell. The Westell was working fine but I was willing to see if this one would be faster, and I wanted a backup in case the one I had died (without waiting for Verizon to send a replacement).

THere are 3 setup choices (my wording):
1) totally automatic
2) you select your provider
3) completely manual

While I was comfortable with doing a manual setup, I was curious to see how easy it would be using option 2. I had to know that my Verzion service was PPPOE, but other than that it did indeed need no information except the user and password.

I looked at the options (firewall, NAT, pass-through, etc) but didn't set any of them as I use this with a router and have everything configured in the router.

Interestingly, it is running faster than the Westell's I've used (and I've had several). I've run some tests and while they're not controlled, I'm seeing about 8%.

Physically, it's very small and is clearly more fragile than other DSL modems I've had, using thinner plastic. It wouldn't put up with much abuse, but then there's no reason it should be subjected to it.

Important point: The ethernet cable they provide is a cross-over, and you need that on setup when connectiong the modem directly to your computer. If using a router, you'll then not use that cable again. Most people setting up modems with routers know this, but there's virtually no documentation for this thing and the on-disc manual is weak.
44 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.