Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 7, 2012
This is a daily devotional based on the author's book, The 4:8 Principle: The Secret to a Joy-Filled Life (based on Philippians 4:8 in the Bible). The idea is to transform thoughts from negative to positive as the apostle Paul encourages believers to do in that verse.

I'm not naturally a "Pollyanna" type personality and confess that books like this tend to irritate me more than encourage me but I was pleasantly surprised as I read this one. The approach isn't a chirpy rah-rah speech every day (thank you, Mr. Newberry!) but rather takes a realistic approach to helping the reader discover a way to think more positively in specific circumstances while acknowledging that it doesn't come easily for most of us. I appreciated the "think this, not that" approach with suggestions I could comfortably embrace; things like thinking compassionate thoughts rather than harsh ones, bold instead of comfortable, serving instead of self-centered, victory instead of defeat, etc.

Each day offers a 2-3 page reading on a specific topic, followed by an application exercise, thought for the day, and a prayer. One reading that I especially appreciated was on Day 8: Stop Identity Theft. This devotional dealt with seeing ourselves in the positive light and truth of scripture and what God says about us rather than being defined by worldly influences. Other topics include Take a Vacation From Yourself, The Gift of the Present, Feeling vs. Fact, Harboring Gratitude, Whatever Your Hands Find to Do, to name a few.

I do like this devotional and look forward to continuing my journey through it. With Christmas coming up, this would be a great gift to give to friends and family.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher as part of their blog review program but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.
0Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?