Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 28, 2012
Those of us shopping for an iPad mini case the week the device was announced know that there were slim pickings. Out of the handful available, I chose the Khomo case -- it only cost $2.99 at the time (now it's $12.99). Plus it has a full back cover and a magnetic front cover.

But I'd had my heart set on the Defender. However, the $69.99 preorder price was prohibitive. So I waited until I saw one through Amazon Warehouse Deals for under $42.

As much as I liked that very affordable and well-made Khomo case, this Defender for the iPad mini is a thousand times better. No exaggeration.

Yes, it adds a bit of bulk. But it's so well styled that you'd think it was organic to the mini if you didn't know how thin the real mini is. This does not have the awkwardness of the Defender for the iPhone 4s (which I own). It is attractive and highly protective.

It's the difference between carrying a raw egg in a baggie and placing the egg in an egg carton. I'm now thinking I took huge risks carrying my mini around without the protection of the Defender.

If you've read another review about how this applies too much pressure to the mini and cracked the screen, I haven't experienced anything like that. It's well fitted, there is no flex between the case and the device, and I can't see how you could crack the screen unless you were trying to remove the Defender case and you torqued the mini in your attempts to extract it. Otherwise, there are no pressure points created by fitting this case onto your mini. Don't let that review stop you from purchasing this item. If you do, you're making a big mistake and not backing up your investment.

Unlike that other reviewer, I post constantly about products/books I purchase, the good as well as the bad. Because that's what will help you decide to purchase or move on.

The screen protector does not impede the touchscreen, either by finger or with a stylus. I have a Bamboo stylus and it works just fine, although I need to apply slightly firmer pressure with the stylus.

If you're a Defender owner, you know the quality of the materials. If you've never bought one before, this is the one to purchase. You'll be hooked for life.
308 helpful votes