Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars No Bass Whatsoever - Only High End if You Care about Audio Quality, November 5, 2013
This review is from: Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones (Electronics)
Hi guys, I just bought a pair of these and if you want nothing but treble then fine. These sound exactly like the free ones I get in the Marriott fitness room. There is no bass whatsoever and very little mid-range - so their claims are not valid. I am an ex rock musician so I know how the music should sound. Save your money as there are some other Sony earbud based headphones that have a WAY BETTER quality of sound. Buy these instead and you'll be much happier Sony MDRE828LP/SLV Lightweight Earbuds (Silver). Just about the same price.

If you don't believe me - buy one set of each and see for yourself the HUGE DIFFERENCE in audio quality. I honestly cannot believe so many people say these sound good. It shows me why marketing and appearance has more to do with what people buy in audio gear than the quality!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2014 7:14:38 PM PST
OlyL says:
Thank you for your comment! Too many reviews have no audiophile basis, so I appreciate your expert opinion and saving me the trouble & money buying the wrong buds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 7:34:37 PM PST
Happy to weigh in on this. I was absolutely shocked how people commented positively on the audio quality of this and it reminded me that most people have no idea between good and poor audio quality. That's why so many of the audio products out there are all about marketing and nothing about the quality of the product - it then becomes all about "the coolness factor" that sells the product. Same with beer for that matter.

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 5:43:29 PM PDT
R. Broderick says:
Audio quaility is subjective. Why? Because everyone perceives sound differently based on thier hearing ability. To say no bass what so ever is 100% bogus. The only way you will be able to prove this is to test it showing the actual frequency responce vs the claimed, as well as the efficiency and roll off of said efficency when being driven. Perhaps your equipment is faulty or perhaps it's your hearing? I bought two pairs of these, and although I have definatly heard better, I can not complain at $8-10 for this set. Imeadance of the equipment and earphones as well as sensitivity also play a factor on sound quaility. If you are true audiophile, then why waste your time and money on these? I'm sure there are super expensive (and great sounding) audiophile quaility earphones. Maybe you bought a chevy and are expecting lamborgini performance. I suppose Sony also paid all the positive reviewers of this item for there reviews. I'd give these 4 stars, but to say they are just a one star product is just crazy, less you got a defective item.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2014 2:48:23 PM PDT
Robert Cain says:
Are you certain that you used tips large enough to completely seal your ears? If not, there will be no, or very little, apparent bass. I recommend the large Comply foam tips except that he continues to keep the price of them so high, despite their relatively negligable cost of production, that they cost as much or more than the buds you typically would want to improve with them. Silly, that.

Posted on May 4, 2014 10:00:46 PM PDT
justin says:
There is some bass...but it's hardly any, the sound quality is also dwarfed by Samsung OEM earbuds that come with Galaxy devices. I'd recommend avoiding these.

Posted on May 5, 2014 3:16:27 PM PDT
Robert Cain says:
You must not have a seal in your ear. These are everything but deficient in bass. I test and measure 'phones for a living.

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 5:21:08 AM PDT
Bill B says:
"Ex rock musician" - all the rock musicians I've ever known are deaf as a post. I have used these earphones in the past and for the money you get decent quality. There certainly is mid range and the bass is adequate for most non-deaf-ex-rock-musicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2014 2:45:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2014 2:49:36 PM PDT
Hi Bill, thanks for your post and it made me laugh heartily so I truly enjoyed it. And I DO know some deaf rock musicians. But I happily am not one of them. I use several other earbud headphones that DO provide bass and I CAN hear the bass with them while also hearing very clear midrange and highs. The best headphones provide an accurate mix of all 3, with no strong exaggeration of one or the other. But I did find your post humorous and am glad you like these headphones - I'd be glad to give you mine if I can find them.

If anybody wants to try out some earbud headphones that provide the full range, I looked up these ones that I own and you can find them on Amazon at Sony MDRE828LP/SLV Lightweight Earbuds (Silver).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2014 4:24:42 PM PST
AJ says:
They are deficient in bass when you compare them to the Sennheiser CX300II. For example listen to L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira on both headphones and you'll understand what I mean. Because of that I prefer the Sony for metal music.

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 4:31:42 PM PST
AJ says:
1 star should be given to headphones that become defective quickly and are bad for when you're running. "if you want nothing but treble then fine." That's a good reason not to give it one star. Rate objectively.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›