Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 24, 2012
I have been researching tablets for a month. My brother has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and my kids have a IPad 1. I played with the Samsung for about 3 hours one night, and it seemed decent. However, the Samsung was like the IPad..... only one "do all" port at the bottom, no expansion possibilities, and accessory dongles that you need to purchase for USB or HDMI. I liked the idea of the ASUS Transformer Prime, but was not going to fork over $499 for a non-op GPS (because of the aluminum body of the tablet, the signal can't get to the antenna). The regular Transcormer seemed OK, but I just was not sold for $399. Then, I kept coming close to buying the Motorola Xoom.... built very well, very well supported with OS upgrades etc, but the screen is a very basic TFT.... hard to justify even the closeout price of $399 for that. So, I PURCHASED the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, since I have their regular Thinkpad laptops, the screen is an IPS, gorilla glass, and it was lots of ports and outputs. Had the Lenovo for two days before I returned it, here is why: Aside from the stellar build quality, the GPS stank, the speaker was HORRIBLE (I could not even hear the diatogue from my Netflix movie). I sat outside for an hour with the thinkpad two different times trying to acquire and lock onto satellites with a good GPS app, and it was able to find one, sometimes two satellites, and NEVER lock on. Unacceptable. Returned it. Went to a big box store and noticed a few of the new ASUS Transformer Pad 300's in the lower display case... but they would not sell me one until the 29th, even though the day I was there WAS the launch date!!! So, I decided that this Acer would be OK to try. Even though Amazon was priced $20 LESS (with free shipping) than the big box store, I still purchased it at the store.... so that I could have it today. It comes in nice retail packaging, included the USB host adapter and charge cord. All that I can say is that it FEELS like a premium product (has a rubberized feel on the backside, no flex), works like a premium product, looks like a premium product. The GPS found 16 satellites within 3 minutes with the same app that I installed on the Lenovo (INDOORS!!!). The speakers are plenty loud enough and clear. The IPS (yes it's IPS) screen is decent. I also confirmed that the A510 has Gorilla Glass. The A510 is a clean execution of the new processor and ICS. Mine DOES NOT heat up.... not sure I'm believing that nonsense reported by a few. Sure, the thing has a battery roughly twice the size of most tablets, so it must get a little warm during charging. I downloaded a widget that monitors battery temperature, and it runs at 84 degrees. It is just a nice machine, is fast and snappy. One note... the specs say that the camera can film 720p, but when you actually use it, there are 3 settings: FULL HD 1080p, HD 720p, and VGA. Maybe since the OS on this is really 4.0.3 and not 4.0.0, there could have been a camera update?? Or are the published specs just wrong or unclear? For the reviewer who had charging problems..... At first I thought I had a charging problem, but the way the charge cable is designed, it slides in 95% of the way, many people will think it's all the way in, because it does feel like it is, BUT you must push firmly for the "click", which is what is required to charge it. It is designed this way so that it won't fall out, unlike tablets like the Xoom which has a charging cable that loostens over time and falls out.

UPDATE***
After digging deep into Acer forums regarding the heat coming from the tablet's right side....... the consensus is to DISABLE McAfee Virus Scan app which runs processes full time..... so I did, and guess what...... now there is barely any sign of warmth, not to mention actual heat.
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?