Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on November 12, 2005
I bought this DVD collection before reading anyone's reviews, so I didn't realize people had some legitimate complaints about it. But they seem to echo many of the problems I have with this new B&B release.

1. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST PUT THE VIDEOS BACK IN THE EPISODES??? In many ways, that's what made the show great! It is my opinion that B&B in many ways did more to influence (for better AND for worse) the direction of music in the 90's. We can thank them for taking bands like Poison and Winger off the charts for good! And they also kick-started the careers of many bands like White Zombie, who probably didn't have a prayer otherwise. (Not saying I'm a White Zombie fan, just that I recognize the power the show had to make or break artists. That's a lot of power!)

2. THIS COLLECTION PUTS THE WORD "CUT" BACK IN THE PHRASE "DIRECTOR'S CUT". But WHY? Why cut out ANY of the scenes from these episodes? For example, the final scene in the "Manners Suck" episode -- where B&B are sitting on the johns in the men's room saying "Please come out", something we've ALL said on the can many times throughout our lives, thus making it so funny -- is MISSING! WHY, MIKE? WHY? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Is that suddenly too juvenile for you now that you have gotten older? Besides, without the final scene, the episode feels somehow unresolved. I've been struck with that feeling numerous times while watching these DVD's. It leaves you feeling unsatisfied.

3. WHY CAN'T THESE BE RELEASED AS "SEASONS" INSTEAD OF AS A COLLECTION OF MIKE JUDGE'S PERSONAL FAVORITES??? Who cares which ones Mike likes which ones he doesn't? Just because these are HIS favorites doesn't mean they're MINE. Now, it just so happens that some of my favorites ARE in this collection, but that's pure coincidence. The "King of the Hill" shows are being released by season. I don't hear Mike Judge objecting to that. And I'm SURE there are episodes in THAT show that he feels embarrassed by as well! So why does he feel he can get away with dividing them up by likes/dislikes here? (And considering that he took out critical scenes in episodes he likes, I dread to speculate how he's going to doctor up the episodes he DISLIKES!)

4. WHY DO I HAVE TO WATCH THOSE DAMN OPENING TRAILERS AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH DISC??? This demonstrates the PURE ARROGANCE of the companies involved. When I shell out money for something, I want the PRODUCT I'M PAYING FOR, and the PRODUCT ONLY! I do NOT want to end up actually PAYING for ADVERTISEMENTS -- the ultimate irony! Fine, if they want to put in trailers, so long as I have the option of viewing or not viewing them. After all, that's what you get in newspapers and magazines. But offering me NO CHOICE but to sit through trailers for up-and-coming DVD releases and video games is TRULY ARROGANT on the part of the companies involved, in this case being MTV and Paramount.

Bottom line: WHY CAN'T MIKE JUDGE AND THE GUYS AT MTV AND PARAMOUNT JUST GIVE US WHAT WE WANT??? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO INSULT THE SHOW'S FANS BY GIVING US CIRCUMCISED EPISODES WITH MISSING SCENES AND NO VIDEOS??? WHY CAN'T WE JUST GET THE SHOW THE WAY WE REMEMBER IT, THE WAY IT WAS ORIGINALLY CONCEIVED??? Is that too much to ask for?

So...if you absoultely HAVE to have B&B on DVD -- and I don't blame you if you do -- then this is still worth buying. After all, you will relive a lot of great laughs in spite of what The Man has done to them. But if you want nothing less than the original blueprint, then vote with your wallet and buy the new "South Park" season instead.

Thank God I've still got most of the original "Beavis & Butt-head" episodes on videotape...
44 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?