Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent Features, Horrid User Experience, September 25, 2010
This review is from: Lexmark Prevail Pro705 Small Office Wireless Multifunction Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
We haven't owned a Lexmark printer in the past, but we'd read some good things about this one and liked the nice small footprint for printing, scanning, and faxing in our home office on our Windows 7 HP computer.

On the positive side, it mostly works as advertised - for a while.

On the negative, I believe that Lexmark took shortcuts on software, firmware, and obviously on support - perhaps in a rush to get this product to retail store shelves. We followed installation procedures carefully with the new printer, and though it worked initially, we had frequent problems with the wi-fi function. On some days, perhaps when the wind blew in just the right direction - the printer would not respond to it's primary directive - it wouldn't print. We tried turning the printer on and off - no good. Only if we re-booted our computer would the printer again begin to respond. It would remain happy for some unspecified period of time before again refusing to print; only a computer re-boot would do! We'll see if it keeps up - we have just downloaded updated firmware.

Continuing in the negative category, my wife was pleased to be able to scan many old family photos directly to a USB connected flash drive. Cool feature! But after scanning 3 pictures, it refuses to scan another one. Perhaps another Lexmark Pro705 strike? "Unfair to printer! Unfair to scanner! We won't print! We won't scan!" Really hard to tell why it's initiating work stoppages, only that it does with regularity.

Finally my primary issue with Lexmark. When I started trying to sort out the problems with our computer, I found a page that noted there was updated firmware for the Pro705. Great. Downloaded firmware update utility. It failed. Also part of the Lexmark work stoppage? I tried this numerous times, all programs closed, doors open, on my head; wouldn't work. I gave up for a few weeks and decided to attack again after another unscheduled outage. This time I found a Lexmark recommendation to use the installed printer's update program to get the most current software. Great! Simple to find the program under the "Lexmark Programs" on my Windows 7 machine. Ran the update program as suggested. "You have updates. Downloading 4 Files." Yeehaaw! Hang on.... "Download failed" Are you beginning to see the Lexmark trend now?

More on-line research on the support site for Lexmark. Finally found a page that referred to a known issue with the printer software and firmware that was shipped with my computer. I was assuming that this was all shipped with my computer AFTER it had been tested for functionality and stability. That would be an incorrect assumption. The Lexmark web page basically says, "if you installed the printer with the software we shipped, you need to uninstall everything and start over." Don't belive me? Direct quote:
"If you used one of the original CDs from the above list you need to uninstall the driver, then download and install the latest version for Windows 7 from Lexmark website."

[...]

So finally, I find out what to do! Start over! We'll see how this update works out - but it doesn't change the fact that you get dragged through the thorny underbrush by Lexmark before you even have a chance to get this product to work correctly. That's bad enough, but since I registered with Lexmark, I would have loved for them to send me an e-mail letting me know how badly screwed up my software and firmware was for this product.

Now the bottom line - I'd recommend looking past Lexmark and explore other brands - any other brands!

[Add comment]