Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

on December 12, 2013
I love Yamaha products as I owned Yamaha guitar and digital piano, all of them are rock solid and sound is top-notch in terms of money. When purchasing a receiver, i did not look elsewhere only Yamaha. I got a black Friday deal from best buy for RX-375 which is $150 cheaper than RX-475. However, after a side by side comparison with RX-475, I have to say the sound quality from 475 is lot better. I ended up returning RX-375 to best buy.

The RX-375 and RX-475 is pretty much similar in terms of set up and features, RX-475 has more internet related features such as AirPlay though I only care about its sound quality. I basically did two sets of tests on each one of them: 1) Watching action movies 007 and Avenger. 2) Listening to a few string instrument music CDs e.g. pure guitar sound.

For watching action movies, both RX-375 and RX-475 delivers pretty much the same sound effects e.g. helicopter flying by, voice is clear and movie background music is fine, video is clear also. So after this test, I thought I will just return RX-475 as RX-375 is lot cheaper and serve my needs for watching action movies.

It is the second test that really makes RX-475 stands out from RX-375. I have set both unit to the exact same settings under on-screen menu including the volume and using the exact same set of speakers. (of course, after properly YAO setup.) The music played from RX-375 is very bright, but mid range is far worse than RX-475. RX-475 is very rich and brings great details of the music. I also played some piano CD music through this receiver, it came out great.

After these simple tests, I returned RX-375 and kept RX-475. I also discovered RX-475 supports AirPlay, but Yamaha mentioned that AirPlay is only for music playing, you can not simply dump the video to the receiver to watch it. So to me, it is useless. But the extra $150 for a great sound still justify the cost for this receiver.

It is very surprising that good reviews for RX-375 is far more than that on RX-475, I highly doubt any of the reviewers has ever spent time to really listen to these receivers and make a good comparison. I highly recommended this model.
11 comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.