December 21, 2010
If I say that I have never read anything like this before, I won't be wrong. Random Magic is one of the most original novel I have read recently.
I loved the characterization. I felt as if I knew Winnie and Henry - I really grew attached to them. There were times when I felt annoyed and exasperated at Henry for his cowardice, yet I warmed up to him eventually. This was mainly because he is not like the usual male protagonists. (Or maybe I like men being weak....hmm..) We usually have females behaving like damsels-in-distress but here it was the other way around :) Towards the end, Henry grows a lot as a character. He evolves from a terrified boy to a brave young man .I think this has already been said by other reviewers as well, but Winnie has to be the best character in the book. She is brave, determined, funny and totally "kick-ass" , if I may say so. She always has the perfect solution,always knows what to do. Her solutions don't make sense all the time, but that's what makes it so funny.

The prologue , though not so much related to the plot still adds to the enjoyment of the book. I adored the description of the haunted mansion. I believe that the vivid and colorful descriptions of the settings and the characters are one of the best aspects of the book. It brings every character , every setting alive .We get to meet so many different characters from different stories and myths - not just Alice but so many others. The incredible thing is it never got too overwhelming for me. Usually I am uncomfortable with too many characters.

I can totally see this book as a Tim Burton. In fact the book played like a movie in front of my eyes. I haven't enjoyed such an adventurous novel for a long time. I was blown away by the author's imagination. What a world she has created! This book is non-stop fun - we meet new characters in every chapter, visit new places and have adventures alongside our protagonists - Henry and Winnie.

Random magic is magical, funny and an adventurous ride from start to end! It is crazy imaginative , witty and so very clever. More than anything , the book is a great escape.The book lives up to the title - it is random and it is captivating. You will find yourself drawn to the world that the author has created. I was hooked right until the last page.I LOVED it ! I can't say that enough times. Random Magic, for me , was one hell of a fun ride!
The book's brand of humour may not be everyone's cup of tea , but it sure is mine!

Overall:
Humorous, Enchanting, Crazy and Random , ofcourse.

Recommended?