BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Wonderstruck PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

I was looking around for something to replace my "Moshi" talking alarm clock. I wanted something with a nice display, and realized that I had all these nice clock apps on my iPads (both 1st and 2nd gen for my son and I). So I started looking for better options that could use my iPad. Found several, but most were ones that held it from all sides, so would be impossible, problematic, or just loose with the newer generation of iPads. I didn't need rotation - I have no need to have it displayed in landscape, so finally found this one here. Nowhere mentioned specifically iPad 2 compatibility, but after some google searches, found a webpage at one of the main electronic brick and mortars, which DID list the compatibility. So I found one locally, picked it up at their store, and brought it home.

Unpacking was easy, 2 AA batteries for the power loss backup. Getting it set up took about 2 minutes, including setting both my alarms, one for when I need to get up at my time, one for when I have to get up at my son's time. It supports 12 or 24 hour format display. Easy to see what alarm is on, time, and setting. So for a standalone alarm clock, it was very quick and easy to set up. And all of it can be done either on the unit or on the remote. Even the brightness can be adjusted from the remote, including shutting off the clock display altogether.

Then came the fun, and I plugged my iPad 2 on top of it. Instantly was charging. Changed the input to the iPad, and bang, there's my music. And I almost soiled myself at the volume levels and bass this unit puts out. I guess I'm so used to the tinny sounds from the iPhones and iPads, that while I was expecting more out of the dock, I didn't expect THIS much. Outstanding sound, 5 equalizer presets, fantastic bass response. Best at low to mid levels, but while it does get louder than I'd ever play it, the bass does get a bit muddied at those levels. I could've probably been tweaking it with the presets and the extra bass setting it offers, but didn't worry about it.

Fired up a few of my alarm clock apps, and all work just fine, sound comes out of the dock's speakers and everything is good. So now I can have a regular alarm clock OR use the iPad. Either way I'm set, and now have the added ability to listen to music while reading in bed... iPhone 4 had the same results.

All told I got this for a fraction of the list price since I had some points to spend with this particular brick and mortar, but even had I paid Amazon's price, or the $20 higher full price at this particular store I would've been happy. Worth every penny.
55 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?