Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on April 20, 2011
The Tourist.

At least it knows what it is in the cinematic world - coming through to take a tour, and then leaving us well alone to be forgotten.

Where to begin. Jolie and Depp are two great actors. Two of the greatest of our time, some would say. They've made incredible films that have touched us, entertained us, and made us cry.

This, without a doubt, isn't one of them.

The Tourist has an utter lack of pacing. Whomever is responsible for the draft of this script needs a serious lesson in rising tension. The plotline holds too many secrets for too long - it's almost the one hour mark (in a 90 minute movie) before anything truly begins to happen. The references as to whats truly happening are so bland and obscure, I had absolutely no care for what happened to the characters. Once Jolie's character was truly revealed, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. When Depp's was revealed, I could have seen it coming from a mile away - although, that's only because I'm used to these films - the actual plot becomes rather broken with this revelation, and makes the entire film nonsensical.

This movie utterly fails to get the viewer to have any emotional investment in either the characters, the plot, or even the concept. Highlights for me were some pretty good scenes of Venice - but if I'm looking at the scenery instead of Jolie, you know we have a problem.

This was also marketed (at least in the trailers that led me to watch this film) as an action / mystery flick. Spys, suave scenes and high society. Plain and simple, this is a lighthearted romantic.. comedy? Drama? Whatever you choose to call it, it was poorly done.

Lastly, I can't believe this is hailed (even by some, the true film critics hated it as well) as 'significant.' I appreciate art films, rom-coms, action, horror - you name it. I'm completely unbiased in what I like - I'll give respect to any genre, if it's done well. This simply isn't a good movie. I can't be honest enough about it.

Save your time, save your money. There are better Jolie & Depp films out there.

1/5.
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Product Details

$5.00+ Free shipping (Addon item)