March 3, 2014
I have quite a few books whose subject matter deals exclusively with “golf sayings.” I have been collecting these books since I first started playing some 55 odd years ago. Of all the wonderful reading I have on my shelf; all the wisdom, humor and frustration documented in their pages concerning what is probably the greatest game every invented, this little work is most certainly in the exclusive top five I own.

The author has covered a lot of ground and taken quoted from wide range of people; from professional golfers, celebrities, writers, poets and sports figures.

“The pleasure I get from hitting the ball dead
center on the club is comparable to only to one or
two other pleasures that come to mind.”
Dinah Shore

The thing is, whether these saying are humorous or profound...they all, bar none are true. I found my self saying over and over again “good grief...that is so true,” and then with the next offering chuckling to myself.

“There is no movement in the golf swing so
difficult that it cannot be made even more difficult
by carful study and diligent practice.”
Thomas Boswell

I suppose that my primary attraction to this work is that here was not one saying; one quote that I could not identify with. I doubt seriously if any golfer would not identify with them. Even the most ridiculous offerings have more than a grain of truth to them.

“You know the old rule: He who has the
fastest cart nevr has to play a bad lie.”
Mickey Mantle

The book is well and uniquely illustrated and viewing the illustrations and pictures are sort of half the fun of this one. It is the sort of book that you can pick up over and over again; read a few pages and then contemplate the message.

“Golf is a puzzle without an answer.
I’ve played the game for 40 years and I still
haven’t the slightest idea how to play.”
Gary Player

This is an ideal gift to present any golfer for any occasion and is a great gift for any golfer to give to themselves at any time.

Don Blankenship