Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 25, 2003
When Oprah first choose this book for her book club I didn't think I would like this but after hearing so many raves and taking a closer look at the description I decided to read this. I am still in awe of how this family survived this terrible ordeal and I couldn't put this book down until I found out what would happen next.
This book is about the family of General Oufkir in Morocco and is being told by his eldest daughter Malika. Malika was raised in the palace and adopted by King Mohammed as a playmate for Princess Lalla Mina. King Mohammed died suddenly and his son King Hasan became Malika's adopted father. She left the palace to return to her family when she was 17 and by the time she was 19 she was imprisoned along with the rest of her family because her father had staged an unsuccessful coup. We learn of the unbelievable horrendous conditions these people had to live with, they had very little food and the conditions were not sanitary. They were only given Tide to wash up with and had to use salt as toothpaste. Their cells were infested with all kinds of insects, mice and rats but somehow this family found the will to survive it all.
This is a story of survival and courage which will totally captivate you. This book is a fast read because its the type of book that made me stay up late to finish while I was yawning at my desk in the morning. I highly recommend reading this book.
What's this?