Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera except for one problem., October 22, 2011
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR with Translucent Mirror Technology (Electronics)
This review is not extensive but does cover what I consider the most important pros/cons I discovered during my time with the Sony a35. I did not test the video performance, so all comments below are about photos.

I really like SteadyShot, Sony's in camera image stabilization (IS). This means you can use lenses without built in IS, such as primes, and still benefit from stabilization. SteadyShot is actually one of the main reasons I bought this camera.

This camera is small. My pinky barely fits on the body (with effort) and I would consider my hands medium size. If you have large hands and want a full grip, this is not the camera for you. But small hands would likely find this camera perfect. The small body also means it is light weight which is nice for carrying around.

The menu system is intuitive. I had no problems finding the settings I needed. Available buttons and placement also seemed fine to me.

I read several expert reviews which were all good. A couple of reviews praised it for great ISO performance while some others considered the ISO noise to be high. It turns out ISO performance was a problem I discovered in my own testing. I was replacing a Canon EOS XSi with this camera and so was able to do some comparison shots of the same subject under the same lighting conditions. I was shocked that the Canon produced less noise at all ISO's. Even at ISO 200 noise was evident. It was more than a small difference. The comparisons were of RAW files without noise reduction. In JPEG's the a35 apparently does some heavy noise reduction which could explain why some reviews actually said it had great ISO performance. Unfortunately, an increase in noise reduction means a decrease in detail.

The a35 produces very pleasing colors and does of good job with auto white balance. These are improvements over my old XSi. In the end, I returned the camera because I really need good ISO performance. I now have a Nikon d5100 which has low ISO noise and also produces pleasing colors and white balance.

If you shoot RAW and need to use moderately high ISO's (400 to 1600), I do not recommend the a35. However, if you shoot JPEG in good lighting conditions, you're likely to be very happy with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2011, 8:14:44 AM PST
so what camera could you recommend is best? canon or the nikon 5100?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011, 5:31:58 AM PST
Serious Sam says:
My experience with Canon is limited to the Rebel XSi. It is a good camera with decent ISO performance. Color saturation seemed a little low on it and I almost always had to give it a boost in software.
I now own the Nikon D5100, and it is a great upgrade. I am very pleased with ISO and color performance. In some situations, like photographing flowers, the auto white balance can be wrong. It is simple enough to correct this in software if you're shooting RAW.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›