Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

on October 4, 2012
This is a really interesting graphic novel version of the the much loved story _A Wrinkle in Time_. For the most part, it follows the story fairly accurately.

The graphics are unique and interesting. I admit, I was a tad bit put off with the blue toned shading on the artwork, but it grows on you after a little while. In fact, the artwork alone is a good enough reason to purchase this version of the story, though a full color edition would have been much better. Perhaps we can hope for one in the future.

Okay, to the details. :) The graphic novel follows the prose novel pretty well. The author/artist does make some minor changes to the story. I found those changes quite interesting, as they gave me a bit of insight on how the author interprets this story. She makes a few different choices than I do.

One choice is how the characters are drawn, Meg is close to how I have always seen her in my minds eye, but Charles Wallace and Calvin are totally different than I ever envisioned. And that was pretty fun, because it was almost like these characters were new again.

Still interesting, though not so entertaining, were depictions of things the author and artist saw in the characters I have never seen before. Meg's anger came through in an almost disturbing manner throughout the book, disturbing because I had never seen that particular kind of anger in her character. It seemed like an unreasoned anger, not the despairing anger I expected. It was also resolved just a little too easily. There were similar things emphasized in the other characters too. None of which was wrong, all of which I think represented the way the author/artist saw the characters when she read the original story.

No, those depictions were not entertaining, but they sure were interesting. And they made reading the graphic novel a great experience. I read it straight through in one sitting, then came back over the next couple days to savor parts I had particularly enjoyed.

I think most people will find IT most amusing in this retelling.

Well worth the very reasonable price for this this book, and a must have for any collection. I think most of us will find this version resonates well with our children, even if it does, at times, leave those of us who read the book when it was new, slightly bemused.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.