Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Price Drop - great time to buy, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Wii Console with Mario Kart Wii Bundle - Black (Video Game)
Nintendo dropped the price of their console to $149.99. The previous console package included Wii Sports and Sports Resort, and these have been replaced with Mario Kart and a Wii Wheel. Nintendo also rolled out a line of popular titles for $19.99. The titles include Nintendo Selects: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo Selects: Animal Crossing: City Folk,Nintendo Selects: Mario Super Sluggers and Nintendo Selects: Wii Sports. All of these titles are very good.

This happened on May 15th. The question is, all three systems are out and have motion-based gaming. Which console is best to purchase now?

I say Nintendo is an amazing system and still a notch above the rest, especially given the price drop.

Why? One reason is games. Nintendo has games that appeal to children, teens and even older folks (I'll get into that later). I have an Xbox 360 and PS3, but I find myself playing Wii more. Why you ask? I love my Xbox 360 for Halo/Modern Warfare and other FPS games. That said, when playing games with a group, Wii wins hands down. From racing Mario, Luigi and friends in Mario Kart to battling with Marth and Link in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Nintendo has cornered the market on group-friendly games. Plus, Nintendo has many of the same FPS like Call of Duty: Black Ops geared towards older gamers that the PS3 and 360 have. To top it off, Nintendo has accessories like the Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board that not only integrate gaming and exercise, but make it fun and user-friendly from 5 years of age on up.

Side-story: I bought the Wii for my parents who are in their early 50s. They thought it was a gag gift. A few days after I bought the gift I got a call, "You're father and I have taken up tennis and we love it!" I thought she was referring to playing tennis with a physical racket, they were referring to Wii Sports.

Who has the best motion-based system? Nintendo's revolutionary motion-based gaming was first to market. Now 360 and PS3 have motion-based gaming as well. All are impressive, especially the Kinect for 360. However, neither the 360 nor PS3 have a great number of games that use their motion-sensor equipment. Nintendo on the other hand has been out for years and has a huge number of games that are motion-based. Buy Nintendo for an established motion-based gaming library.

Graphics? PS3 and 360 win this hands down. Wii graphics are not superior to the 360 and the PS3. However, a visually beautiful/realistic game does not equate to being a fun game. When you are racing at top speed in Mario Kart, you are not paying attention to how realistic the environment is on the side of the road, you are trying to shoot your opponent off the road. Fun games make you pay attention to gameplay, not graphics and Wii does this.

Nintendo is a great system and at $149.99, this is a great entry point. Be sure to buy an additional Official Nintendo Wii Wheel (Mario Kart for 1 isn't as much fun without two players). You'll also want to buy another Wii Remote Plus - Black and Wii Nunchuk Controller - Black controller. The system only comes with one set in the box. Take a look at the titles that were reduced to $19.99. You can't go wrong with any of these games.

Hope this was helpful, have fun gaming!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 12:14:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 12:15:41 PM PDT
I'm looking @ 1st time Wii purchase. Does this wheel include the thing in the middle, and is that thing the Wii Remote Plus?
To be set to use for 2 players, and have the same sports games as the original bundle plus the Mario driver game, I'm considering the:
1. Wii Console w/ Mario Kart Bundle
2. Official Wii Wheel
3. Wii Remote Plus
4. Wii Nunchuck
5. Wii Sports
Is this what I need? Do I need anything else? Am I duplicate purchasing anything?...again I want to be set for two people to play. One more, is the mario bundle a better than the original sport bundle considering all the additional crap one must buy to be able to play with 2 people. I have no idea if the Mario game is that big a deal or not. Any help is most appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 12:31:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 12:53:39 PM PDT
I'll try to help you out as best I can, others please feel free to contribute.

The thing inside in the middle of the wheel is called a Wii Remote Plus - Black. It fits into the steering wheel, since the steering wheel utilizes the motion capabilities of the Wii Remote Plus. The Wii Remote Plus is included in the console, along with a steering wheel and nunchuck. You have everything you need for one player to play Mario Kart. For a second player you will need to purchase:

Wii Remote Plus - Black
Official Nintendo Wii Comfort Racing Wheel - Black

I'd also buy an additional Wii Nunchuk Controller - Black.

With those accessories, you'll be set for two players.

You asked if the original bundle is better than the Mario bundle. Both bundles are now about the same price. It might be helpful to see how much the software/accessories would cost if you were to buy them individually:

You can buy Wii Sports for $17.99 and Wii Sports Resort for $39.99 individually whereas Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel would cost $39.99.

Pretty close in price, so in my opinion it depends on what game(s) you think you'd like more. I love Mario Kart, so I'd rather buy the Mario Kart bundle and get Wii Sports for $17.99, since it's pretty cheap. I feel like that gives me the right mix. If I were you I might think about trying the games and get a feel for what you'd like more, then buy it off Amazon.

Hope that's useful. Let the group know if you have more questions.

Posted on May 30, 2011 4:59:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011 5:01:06 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 7:35:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011 7:36:09 AM PDT
No association w/Nintendo. College student and avid gamer, although I guess I'm guilty of being a big Wii fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 7:10:23 PM PDT
Jacob very nice and helpful review to that first time buyer. I own all 3 systems as well, and im a college student haha. Its funny i would play wii more but my mom stole it from my apartment and now has it in her house. Need to get that dang thing back lol. WHat is ur xbox gamertag u seem like a cool person to play cod with or w/e

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:18:39 AM PDT
LynnJynh9315 says:
First off, Nintendo's Wii was not the first attempt at motion-based gaming. Sony's Eye Toy for the PS2 was around before and light-guns have been around longer. That said, the Wii's strengths are mostly its unique capabilities.

Its weaknesses are equally obvious: the system's abysmal 3rd-party support. Make no doubt-- if you're not a fan of Mario, Zelda or Metroid... you need to look elsewhere. Even worse is lack games appealing to the hardcore crowd... certainly, Operation Rainfall has proved that Nintendo simply doesn't care about attracting gamers to its console.

Even so... this is Nintendo. The Wii is a totally unique animal with a number of flaws... but that doesn't meant it isn't worth getting. Just don't be surprised if it collects dust in a corner while you wait for the next significant release to drop off.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 4:58:08 PM PDT
jajab0r says:
This is one of the best reviews I have ever read of any product, I have ever read. Thanks much!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 1:35:08 PM PDT
Thanks for the kind words! Glad this review was helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 3:22:51 PM PDT
Fila says:
My grandson is turning 5 in a few weeks. He lives next door to us. We have never owned a gaming system, but I am leaning towards the Wii. He has a ps3 at his house and does not play it much, but is instead on the computer. He knows things I still dont computer wise. His mom is leaning towards an xbox but I am finding it hard to find child appropriate games. Are there say, ten, or so quality games for a child with the Wii? What are ones considered better or where would I look? I am looking to spend about 300 on the system and accessories and games. What would you buy on that budget :) We have a very large TV screen, already protected with acrylic that we LOVE, so would the lesser quality graphics be a problem? Also, can we do Netflix with the Wii?

Thanks very much, corporate schill or not ;) (Sorry, that was funny but it does lend credence to your adeptness at describing the game and its nuances.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 3:40:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 3:45:27 PM PDT
Hey,

There are plenty of child appropriate games for the Wii. A quick Google search will yield lists. Usually the Wii is pigeonholed as a younger person's video game system. In truth, there are a lot of games geared toward younger kids, but there are also mature games. I think the Wii has the largest selection of "kid-friendly" games. In no particular order ten off the top of my head:

Just Dance 2
Super Mario Bros.
Wii Sports Resort
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (my favorite)
Mario Party 8 - good for young kids
Any lego-themed game for Wii
Zelda

You can stream to the Wii, although I don't. I think Xbox 360 has the best streaming interface of any console. Otherwise, an internet-ready blu-ray does the trick.

In terms of graphics, that's up to you. The Wii certainly doesn't have the best graphics out of the big 3 systems, but I think the games are usually more group-oriented and fun. When you're having fun, graphics become an afterthought. A game may have beautiful life-like graphics, but without fun game play, the disc will gather dust.

Make sure you pick up two sets of controllers (Wii Remotes) + 2 Nunchucks. You'll get one set w/the console, so order 1 more Wii Remote and 1 more Nunchuck. Like I said, group gaming is the most fun. Given you said you aren't super computer savvy, maybe you aren't video game savvy as well? If that is the case, any of the Wii Sports games are great for people who don't play video games much. My mom can beat me in Wii tennis and she typically has atrocious video game skills. Probably because she refused to touch a controller prior to the Wii...

Also, talk to your grandson about what type of games he likes, pointless to buy a game like Just Dance if he likes sports. In that case, Madden would be perfect.

Haha, I updated my profile is hopes of dispelling any thoughts of being a corporate schill. Anyways, hope that info is helpful!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›