Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally someone got it right!, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Anker 5-Port Desktop Usb Charger with PowerIQ Technology, 40-Watt, Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
+ Works exactly as expected. Worry free charging for nearly any USB device (apple, android, tablet) on any of the 5 ports.
+ Compact, silent, sleek and no annoying lights (LED, blinking, or otherwise).
+ Gets only slightly warm when charging: neither too hot to handle nor enough to burn.
+ Draws minimal power when not charging devices (10mA at idle), so few concerns leaving it plugged in.
+ Best price to performance ratio in the market at an excellent price point ($26).
-- Charges Wii U Pro and PS4 controllers but possibly not PS3 controllers, PS Move controllers, or PS Vita (no consensus).
-- The major unknown is long-term reliability. It's new, only time will tell if it lasts. (6 months so far, have 3 of them now...all good).
-- CE+FCC marked, RoHS compliant, but don't see a UL listing. This could be a problem for the corporate/government environment.

I've been in the market for a good USB charger for the past few years. The number of devices I own that charge via USB seems to have exploded recently. Between the mix of android, iOS, and other devices (kindle, raspberry pi, etc) that I have, I was puzzled that no one had created a reasonable product that would charge all of them. Now, yes, I know there are several devices that have labelled ports (2.1 Amps, iOS, Android, etc), or dedicated chargers, but it's all such a hassle. You have to keep track of which port went to which device, keep track of cables, and all that. What a mess! Confuse something up and your device would either charge too slowly and not have a full charge in the morning, or worse, not charge at all! All I wanted was something where I didn't have to worry about what device I was plugging into what port or with what cable. I wanted it to "just work." Charge any device I throw at it at full speed on any port. Make it foolproof! Mercy, is that really too much to ask?

Gratefully, that's no longer too much to ask for. I've only had it for a little over three months now, but I am very impressed. I've now bought three of them, all flawless. It works exactly as described: full power to every device (Apple tablets, Android tablets, Android phones, Kindles, Raspberry Pis). It does so silently (no buzzing, hissing, or whining sounds) and without any annoying bright or flashing LED lights anywhere. Yes, it's completely sans-lights, remarkable! Finally, a manufacturer with some sense. I'm really hoping this thing is built to last (it certainly feels like it might be, but only time will tell).

I don't have enough 10W sucking iPads to push the limits of the power ratings, but between the assortment of devices that I have, I was able to verify 25W of power drawn simultaneously without issue regardless of port via a Weanas power meter. It also draws 10mA when not charging, so it's quite efficient to leave plugged in. Note however, that most devices will continue to draw some power (usually cycle between charging and idle) even when fully charged, so you have to remember to unplug the devices from the charger when fully charged if you're very power conscious. For the vast majority of use cases, (i.e. those involving a mix of high and low power draw devices like phones and tablets), this should meet and exceed all requirements. Note though, that at only 40W, it can only provide high speed charging to four iPads simultaneously (or other similar big 2A draw devices). So if you're eying this as an iPad charging station, it will work, but I would recommend designating only four iPads per charger.

I should note that it does warm up a bit when charging. This is to be expected of anything pushing over 25W, but it doesn't seem to get too hot, only mildly warm. I have no concerns as far as any accidental contact burns or for those with curious children.

In summary, it's sleek, compact, and does its job well. It's also in a class of its own at this very low price point. You won't get a better ratio of devices per dollar at this time. Trust me, I've looked. So if, like me, you're tired of futzing with dedicated chargers or those kludgey multi-chargers that only work sometimes with only some devices on _only_ some ports, buy this well-designed but affordable charger. The stress you'll lose and the hassle you'll save as a result alone will pay for itself many times over.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2014, 5:38:34 AM PDT
It doesn't charge PS3 controllers? Other people are saying it does. Why the discrepancy?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2014, 7:10:56 AM PDT
DigiForceps says:
This is a good question. There are one or two reviews that state they did get it working, though others report it doesn't do PS3 either. There is a discrepancy, you're right. The story might not be so straightforward. I don't know if there are multiple firmware types or whatnot of the PS3 controller. I don't have the controller with me anymore to do further evaluation. I'm going to flag that as questionable for now until I get more data.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2014, 6:09:20 AM PDT
Jim says:
I have multiple ps3 controllers ranging from 4 to 1 year old and it does not charge any of them. From what I have read is its the controllers fault they apparently expect a data connection before they will allow anything to charge them and the sony charger does that but its only .5 amp. I have not tried to fully charge my 1st gen vita yet but when I plugged the dock into the charger and put the vita on it the battery icon indicated charging.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014, 1:03:15 AM PDT
A. Wong says:
I purchased the white Anker 5 port charger and I can confirm that it does not charge any of my 3 PS3 controllers. However, it does charge my Pulse Elite headset. I believe it charges my PS4 controller but I cant tell for certain since the PS4 controller light does not blink when I plug it into the Anker.

Posted on Sep 16, 2014, 12:16:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 17, 2014, 9:22:19 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2015, 1:58:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2015, 1:59:07 PM PDT
S. Oliver says:
I saw one that burned up and since you said no UL listing then I will not buy something because many times I am not in the room or at home when this is charging. I cant afford a $25 device burning my house down.

Posted on Mar 10, 2015, 3:49:35 PM PDT
M. R. Monaco says:
My PS Vita does charge with it, along with my PS4 controllers. As for PS3, none of my mine work with it.

Posted on Mar 14, 2015, 3:41:33 AM PDT
A. Lee says:
The image of the unit on Amazon shows the UL listing number to the right of the CE RoHS labeling. So you're saying the one you received down not have the matching label?

You also indicated it draws 10mA when idle. Just curious how you were able to determine this. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›