Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite powerful and compact, April 13, 2013
This review is from: MeFOTO Aluminum Roadtrip Travel Tripod/Monopod Kit - Blue (A1350Q1B) (Electronics)
I was worried this tripod wouldn't hold up to my main tripod that is a full-sized carbon-fiber manfrotto with a Really Right Stuff BH-40 head but I have been really impressed with it. I have been using the full-sized tripod for a while and was afraid that I would be making some sacrifices for size of the MeFoto, however that has not proven true.

After a solid week of shooting in Costa Rica plus a number of small time uses here are my thoughts:
- Super compact and relatively light. I only brought one large photo backpack bag to Costa Rica and this easily attached to the outside without notice, something other tripods can't do.

- Relatively easy set-up. Not the biggest fan of the screw legs (my only design complaint), however you can open them all and close them all at once when they are in the collapsed position.

- Held a Nikon D200 + 70-300 vr with absolutely no problems. Big bodies with anything larger then 70-200 may struggle at full extension, however without the very last leg section expanded it is significantly beefier.

- Monopod is super convenient and an awesome feature I use all the time now that I never knew I wanted/needed.

- Easy to take apart the legs and clean sand out of every crevice

- Ball-head is decent, obviously no RRS BH-40 but not bad for being included and held everything just fine.

Overall I would say this is nearly competes with tripods that are significantly more expensive but the size and portability makes me just want to use it from now on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2014, 2:11:44 AM PDT
violetflame says:
Thank you for mentioning the RRS. I've been hesitating to order this because my current tripod is a C-328 Benro with the RRS BH-55 and I really didn't want to risk ordering something I'd probably loathe to use. But I need something more portable for an upcoming bike trip, and also the lenses I take with me are the lighter ones. So I'll get this. Thanks!!

Posted on Jan 2, 2015, 8:18:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2015, 8:18:50 AM PST
Priscilla says:
Can you tell me what size it is when its in the closed position? I want to know if this will fit in my bag. Any feed back would be appreciated. I really enjoyed your review. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015, 7:22:45 AM PST
According to the MeFoto website, the RoadTrip is 15.4 inches long when folded, in the closed position.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›