Lyft BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on July 16, 2010
The common mentality of a Christian woman is to please everyone around them, always saying "yes" to everything and living up to the "sugar and spice and everything nice" agenda. In some ways, showing kindness is a good thing as it shows the goodness of Christ in your heart. In other ways, a person can be taken advantage of being overly kind. Boundaries are an important thing to have in one's life. (A good book for this subject is the one by Henry Cloud and John Townsend.)

Moving on, there were some things that I agreed with and some things that I didn't. First off, there was a diagnosis test near the beginning. For each statement, the reader answers "true" or "false." Some I agreed were a problem of being the "nice girl" as the book puts it. For example, one statement reads "a Christian woman should always have a smile on her face," and another one says, "I feel guilty when I say no or set firm boundaries with others."

Then there were the statements that I didn't entirely agree on or think were a problem. One example is the statement that "avoiding conflict leads to a better life." If you answered true then you are too nice. While it's good to confront certain situations, I feel like sometimes it is can be best to move on from others. It's not always worth fighting over every issue that arrives either.

I enjoyed the part about anxious and overprotective parents. As one myself, that hit home. It's hard for me to not be so overprotective sometimes. The authors make a good point that "God takes the sin of cowardice very seriously," making a connection with Revelation 21:8 (p.69).

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. While there were a few statements and parts that I didn't agree with entirely, the rest was very helpful. Thanks Bethany House for allowing me to review this book for free!
What's this?