Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on November 30, 2011
I love how the 5 star reviewers accuse the lower star reviewers of whining because they didn't get their fairytale ending. Sadly, it is not the case with me. I really should have trusted my instincts and stopped at a 1/3rd of the book.

-Mini Spolier Alert-
While I understand that it's "realistic" in terms of how war changes you, I don't feel it was any excuse for dragging out all kinds of action just to have the resolutions happen while Katniss is knocked out or while we, the readers, are segueing into something else. I feel everything after the action was brushed over with a shrug of the shoulders. It kind of makes me think that the author didn't care that much about her characters after all. That she had a Katniss-like apathy writing this book. As an avid reader, many authors have proven time and time again that you can take your stories into a completely unforgiving place while still maintaining the original spirit in which the preceding books were written in. The author has completely failed in that aspect.

As for the "fairytale ending"... I never needed one. At all. I just thought the author would have had the courtesy of tying up loose ends for most of the subplots in strong, sturdy knots as opposed to just hastily bundling it up and presenting it as a finished package.

The good news is that if the third book gets made into a movie, we'll probably enjoy it far more than this depress-apalooza...unless the author elects to write that screenplay as well, then we are screwed.

All I'm saying is that we, the readers, deserved a bit more conviction in the writing. It's not like it was her first book, you know.
1616 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.