Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

1,375 of 1,419 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars I love Roku, but....., August 2, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p (Old Version) (Electronics)
I love Roku and the whole Roku experience. It allowed me to "cut the cable" and save a good bit of money each month. It gives me plenty of programming, most of it free. It's also adding new channels all the time, about 360 or so at the moment.

I current own the previous Roku XD 2050x and love it. It's not a perfect product, but it's a darn good one.

This review is on my current purchase, the Roku 2 XD. It's not a perfect product either and it's just been released. It's also not quite ready for prime-time, but almost...

There are some differences between the XD and the Roku 2 XD. Most are good, but I do have two gripes. The original XD had both a wired connection and wireless available. I use wireless, but wired can be handy. When I first received my original XD, it wouldn't properly connect with my router. So, I hooked it up with an ethernet cable, which allowed it to receive a quick update. This update fixed the problem and I haven't had any problems since. The wireless worked great.

Now, the new Roku 2 XD only has a wireless connection. If you want a Roku 2 with an available wired connection, then you have to spend 100.00 to go up to the XS. I think this was a bad move on Roku's part. I have no desire to play games on my Roku and I especially don't like "Angry Birds" which is the main selling point of the XS.

My other gripe is that the new Roku 2 XD no longer has the "rewind/replay" button. This neat little button will give you an instant replay of the past several seconds, allowing you to take a look at a movie scene you might have missed or a sports call you might want to replay.

The original Roku XD had this button, but the new Roku 2 XD doesn't have it. Again, if you want this button, then you have to move up to the higher priced XS. Again, another bad call on the part of Roku in my opinion.

As I mentioned previously, I think they might have rushed this product to market a bit too quickly. The main reason is that there are a few common channels (and popular private channels) that won't run on the new XD, while they run fine on the previous generation. Roku is working on the problem and releasing updates, but still, this shouldn't have happened on the scale that it did. For example, currently, Food Network Nighttime won't play at all and all of the NASA programming will actually crash the Roku and cause it to reboot. When the Roku 2 was first released the problems were worse, but the company has been working to correct it. However, with so many glitches at release, they really should have waited to refine the software before releasing it to the public.

Now, I'll move on to a quick list of Pros and Cons for the Roku 2 XD

Pros: 1. Overall faster performance especially in menus
2. Wireless range and signal seems better than the previous models
3. Better looking menus and color schemes
4. Smaller Roku footprint.

Cons: 1. No wired ethernet port on XD and HD, only on the XS
2. No rewind/recall button on remote of XD and HD, only on the XS
3. Seems to run a little warmer than previous models
4. Too much common content (and some private channels) won't work and can possibly crash/reboot the Roku

Overall, it seems as if it'll be a great product, like the previous models, once they work out the glitches.
I do wish they'd have kept the wired ethernet port on the XD at least, as well as the rewind/recall button.

If you have a previous generation Roku XD, stick with it for at least the next couple of months. Hopefully they'll have corrected the video/streaming problems that are plaguing it currently.
Also, if you need a wired ethernet connection, then either stick with or track down a previous generation XD. Otherwise, if you're willing to spend the extra money on the XS, then do it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 53 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 26, 2012 5:27:39 AM PST
Can you watch YOUTUBE from this?

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 10:56:42 AM PST
Raivyn says:
Mark - thanks for your awesome review! I needed a way to view content on a old Sharp 32" LCD used in the office, and was going to spring for the XD since it is 1080p. But based on your review, I decided to check C-list and found an older XD model for only $30 and snagged it. I'm using the wired connection for now, a great feature which allowed me to update the software w/o worrying about it finding my connection. My understanding is that this guy will hook up to a wireless N connection, also, so it has enough flexibility for future use when I want to upgrade.

Since my LCD is only 32" and since Netflix and Hulu Plus only stream in 720p anyway, this little gem is perfect, especially for the money. When the price of the XS drops, I'll pick up one of those and move this into the spare room so the old retired 720p plasma can get some love.

You saved me a few $$ and helped me enjoy my little TV in my office. Thanks again!!

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 10:00:44 PM PST
Brad Martin says:
Just for the record, on my Roku2 XD remote, if you hit the left arrow, it rewinds incrementally, or if you hold it down, it rewinds very quickly. So I'm not sure if this was an update I received, or if this reviewer just missed this feature. But I don't have the XS, and I can definitely rewind with the left arrow and fast forward with the right arrow, then press the OK to resume playback.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 4:25:22 PM PST
stereowiz1 says:
Great review! No more cable with Roku and this antenna!Winegard Company FL-5000 FlatWave HDTV Indoor Digital Flat Antenna - Made in USA

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:43:18 PM PDT
Brendan says:
For those saying that it has a rewind and fast forward buttons, that is not the button being referred to in the review. In addition to those button, the old version had a replay button which automatically skipped back 10 seconds, or so, and was great for a quick replay of something. It was faster than having to use rewind to search back and wait for it to reload, and a button that I use often.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 4:16:18 AM PDT
triplet mom says:
We have an older Roku, a TV antenna on the roof, no cable TV and 3 kids. This setup has worked great. We do subscribe to Netflix (~$7/month) so between Netflix and PBS there are plenty of shows for the kids to enjoy. With the TV antenna I get my network shows and football. If you're looking to cut back on the monthly cable bill, I would highly recommend this option. The kids may initially be upset about losing CN but you can access a lot of the shows on Netflix.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 5:13:51 AM PDT
bigjimleo says:
Maybe it's a new firmware update, but also beware the Roku requires a credit card or paypal account on file for you to register and use the device. Unacceptable that they'd make such a demand.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 12:08:35 PM PDT
J Lech says:
How do you get the local TV channels?

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 5:32:23 PM PDT
Liang Shi says:
I almost started to put a order of Roku 2 XD before I read this review. Thanks for this review for it let me know that Roku 2 XD does not have an ethernet port. I currently have a older version of Roku with ethernet connection but does not support Netflix subtitles. I would like to get a Roku 2 for Netflix title. However my WI-FI connection are somehow not very stable, so I prefer an ethernet connection. I do not understand why Roku does not provide an ethernet port on all models. It seems that I have to find another product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:35:55 AM PDT
Raivyn says:
The Roku 2 XS offers an ethernet port.

Review Details