Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect Trilogy - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
When Mass Effect first came out, I didn’t have an X-Box. So I just licked my wounds and figured this would be one more game out of a million that I’d never play. Even when Mass Effect 2 came out for PS3, I still passed because, really, from everything I’ve heard, there just wasn’t much point playing the second without playing the first. Ditto Mass Effect 3.

But finally the entire trilogy came out for PS3. And all three games are in a package for the same price as any other single game you would get for the PS3. If you’ve ever been the least bit curious about Mass Effect, don’t hesitate to buy this. You get three games for the price of one and each individual game is worth the price itself.

There’s a little bit of button mapping changes between games. Mass Effect 1 in particular has quite a bit of Early Installment Weirdness to it. But give yourself half a chance to get used to the different control schemes between games, you’ll be set in no time.

I’ve played a lot of RPG’s and shooters. I’ve watched and read a lot of sci-fi. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like this. This is an amazing thrill ride that keeps upping the ante, and the ante was pretty high in the first game. Barring spoilers, there are so many ‘wham’ moments that will leave you speechless. After getting to know and care about all of the characters over the series, I don’t think any game ending has left me so utterly shell shocked as I was at the end of Mass Effect 3. It truly took me a while before I could form a coherent sentence. And I’ve played a ton of emotionally riveting games in my life.

Of course if you know anything about Mass Effect, you know about the choice mechanic. But I was surprised at just how deep this ran. A seemingly inconsequential side quest that’s done or not done in ME1 can have some consequences in ME2. If you’re not careful in the choices of how you treat your crewmembers throughout the series, you never know, it could cost them their lives.

Now it has been said that the ending to Mass Effect 3 was disappointing because after three games where your choices had drastic consequences, the ending really went in a way that made it so your choices meant nothing. Fair enough. You’re choices still have a drastic effect on which of your squad members live or die. But past that, unless you really mess things up, things are going to end based on your choice between 3 outcomes…which all three still have pretty much the same cinematic, just with different coloring.

So I do see the argument about the ending being disappointing. BUT…I personally didn’t mind the ending. If I hadn’t known (via the complaining on the internet) about how the ending made your choices not matter so much, I never would have known. It’s still a complete narrative with all loose ends tied up.

Even more importantly than that, whatever you think of the ending, the journey itself is fantastic. As I stated before, I’ve played a lot of emotionally involving games before. But I don’t recall ever having been on quite the roller coaster that this game is.

Of all the games I’ve played, I have never started playing one again the moment I’ve finished it. I usually have to have a breather afterwards. But this was so enthralling, the moment I was done with Mass Effect 3, I went right back to starting a new game with Mass Effect 1. It was that good.

And to get all three games for the price of one, you better believe it’s worth your wile to get this now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]