Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School

4.0 out of 5 stars Could These Be A Necessary Luxury?, August 14, 2011
These bottles work great for getting at the more viscous goo you carry with you that often needs an extra "squeeze" (lotion, conditioner, sunblock, etc.) They feel squishy and are easy to use (even with lotion-covered hands). Goo can also be "banged down" to the opening, in the traditional way, if squeezing is not preferred.

This also makes refilling easier with more viscous goo, since the Toob is more flexible, you can do the "suck" down maneuver to make space as you fill it.

I have not yet tried these Toobs with less viscous goo (water, olive oil, dr bronner's soap, etc.). If someone buys me an additional toob, or a three-pack, I will try it and report back.

The hole that the goo comes out of seems like a flex-valve that pushes out when the toob is squeezed and in a bit after (like a vacuum effect). Because of the "flaps" on the valve, thicker goo will come out in a star pattern (like cake decoration). A description I read states that they have a "no drip valve". Hindsight is always 20/20, if I had thought about it, I would have filled mine with water first, to test the no drip-ness factor. The flip-lid stays on well and is also easy enough to open when you intend to do so. There is an oval opening that spins 360-degrees, like a collar, and reveals text engraved on the Toob to help identify contents (lotion, shampoo, soap, etc). This hole is adjusted and held in place, according to the spinning of the cap piece. So, when you are refilling the toob, you can also select the proper text, then replace and tighten the cap, which secures the oval opening.

More features I dig:
- BPA-free
- food-grade silicone
- Looks groovy
- Feels squishy
- I can color-code if I want
- stands-up on the valve end, to help goo move to the "business end" of the Toob when in "storage"

As an aside, verbally, I prefer to call them "GooToobs". I didn't even realize they were called "GoToobs" until recently and I forgot almost immediately, and still refer to them as "GooToobs". Kinda like how people call Tide-To-Go, "TideSticks". Or Goo-Gone, as "Goo-Be-Gone". Or refer to an iPod Touch, as an "iTouch". Each incorrect, but having a certain "ring" to them. For the purpose of this review, I will stick with the correct name, GoToob.

Questions I have:
- some have a suction-cup attached, so you can stick it to a wall or mirror (is this really practical, in use?)
- are these recyclable?
- is the cap & valve BPA-free?
- can it stand up to severe changes in air pressure (like when flying, or left in a hot car)?

I have not yet flown with mine, so i cannot attest to the effects of flight and cabin pressure, but mine holds up well, being bumped around in my purse and on my dashboard.

Possible uses (I have not tried all of these, just throwing some ides out there):
- carry personal (H&B) goo for overnights, travel, & gym
- maybe carry smaller amounts of liquid vitamins for said activities?
- maybe carry goo-like food products or condiments when travelling (mustard, ketchup, miso, butter, pesto)?
- maybe a more secure way to travel with powdered items like corn starch (never tried it)
- maybe craft uses (paints, craft-goo, etc)?
- maybe as an atomizer/diffuser? (fill 1/3 full with distilled water & essential oils and "puff" scented air under your nose or drop onto skin, as needed, heeding all EO cautions)
- maybe for homemade toothpaste?
- if it holds water well, you can maybe use it as a quick-hi-pressure rinse solution when there is no running water (such as in a bathroom stall or while camping) - two purposes would be for teeth rinsing or gum irrigation (like an OralBreeze) or, if you use a DivaCup, Keeper, or MoonCup, this would be handy to rinse when there is no sink. I carry a trial-sized aloe squeeze bottle for this purpose, but would consider switching, if I have the money when my aloe bottle breaks (7+ years, going strong!)

Nits I can pick:

I think the cap part is a bit large. For instance, I can put all of my current 7-10 travel-sized bottles/jars of goo in one TSA-approved-quart-sized plastic bag. If it's a good day, I can fit them in the smaller, sandwich-sized bag. This amount of goo will serve me well for up to a week of travel. These GoToobs take up much more space and I doubt if I would be able to fit even 5 of the 1.5 oz bottles (filled) in a quart-sized baggie. (Please report, if you have experience, as I only have one bottle, at the moment). If you travel for long periods, keep a GoToob or two in your gym bag, or just need more goo and/or just need 2 or 3 bottles for your different goo needs, then size/space may not be a concern for you. I didn't knock a star off, though, because this is a personal preference/needs issue and not a flaw in the product. I would like to see a smaller version, as another option (GoToob Micro).

Another issue I have with these GoToobs is that the cost (generally 6 to 10 dollars per bottle) is a bit high (even when you find a deal). I travel often and keep my "ditty bag" stocked for spontaneous trips, and have for almost 20 years, so I have lots of experience with travel bottles. Many of the trial size bottles you get at the supermarket (or in a hotel) can be reused many times before damage occurs and they need to be recycled. If you are careful with your packing, (and goo bottles usually go in a seal-able plastic baggie, anyway), you can minimize possible leakage in the event of a split bottle, or popped lid, etc. In all my 20 years of travelling, I have had this happen only a handful of times (once was from a too-rigid bottle which reached the end of its lifespan, once was from change in air pressure, and once was from an improper seal on the lid). Now, I know to reuse less rigid bottles when possible, I allow a bit of extra empty space in a bottle and I also squeeze it a bit before sealing it to allow for cabin pressure changes, and I am extra-vigilant when sealing lids. The GoToob does reduce the need for these extra steps (generally), but it also costs 5-7 times more than a trial bottle (or even more, if considering the dozen or so junk bottles that come in the "kits", that still work fairly well).

Because of the large amount of time I spend travelling, and the "neat-o factor" of them, I think these GoToobs will slowly replace my tried-and-true system of buying travel sizes and reusing the bottles. As I have gotten older, I have gotten more settled on my goo (personal products) and therefore, have less of a need to buy "trial" sizes. Plus, with all the potential non-H&B-Goo uses, I may be able to fill a need for which, previously, there was no solutionable product. In terms of financial savings, I could stop buying trial/travel sizes when I need to replace a well-used small bottle, and stick with just buying one GoToob and refilling it (and being generally secure in not losing product from a burst or leak). Based on the successful history with my old system, and the cost of GoToobs, it may take me a few years to convert to a majority of GoToobs for this (H&B goo-based) purpose, (depending on their low-viscous performance). I travel with about 7-10 goo products, (plus some sprays and a rock deodorant), so it would cost me about $40-60 to convert just my H&B goo (I already have one GoToob). I have probably spent about $35 in travel-sized bottles (pre-filled with goo) in my 20 years of travel (I refill them whenever possible, and often). So, if I find a bargain and these bottles last longer than 20 years, I'm all set. If santa or a generous loved one buys them for me, even better! :)

In conclusion, these are handy toobs, and may prove more functional and useful than their original intended purpose of H&B goo refills for travelling. If you have a need (travel, gym, etc.) and can afford to buy them (over cheaper options) and do not already have a functional system in place for your H&B goo, these might be a great investment. Or, if you have a need that cannot be filled by another product on the market (like a mini refillable condiment container, or a travel micro-pressure washer), then these may do a great job at filling that void.

I rely on reviews here at Amazon to help me make informed buying choices. I hope this review has helped you in the same manner. If you voted this as helpful, I Thank You! :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2014 12:40:05 PM PDT
Hope says:
Very thorough review, thank you. As for your question about the practicality of the suction cups, I chose them over other travel containers because of the suction cups. I don't like clutter on countertops and bathtub/shower edges, and I thought they'd be easier to reach & use, just leave them stuck to the side of the shower wall and squeeze when you need shampoo, conditioner, or lotion. Unfortunately, the suction cups were pretty useless. I may not have splurged on them if I'd known, but they are pretty cool little containers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2014 1:05:47 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
Hope - thank you for reading and for your comment! I appreciate the feedback about the suction cups, as well. It was my concern that they are a smart idea that was poorly implemented and I'm sad to find that it seems like I was right in this area.

I keep mine in another bag and I have a suction cup/hook for that, so it's not a huge problem for me that their implanted suction cups don't work well (although, it does seem to be a waste of manufacturing energy and bottle space.)

Otherwise, the toobs are pretty cool, tho!

Posted on Jun 18, 2014 1:14:25 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
It looks like Amazon has combined reviews for this item and now my review appears twice (and I cannot edit it).

Here's an update: I have since traveled with mine, on a plane, several times, both in passenger cabin and in cargo bay, for flights up to 40 hours (New Zealand w/long layovers) and I'm HAPPY to report that nary did I have one drop of oil spill from my GoToob.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›