Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on June 18, 2009
I bought a book hoping to improve my mental game, believing that my current scoring woes are mental, and bought this book, shown in the same Amazon search, as an afterthought.

I was delighted to see that this book has a very helpful chapter about the mental game, but as I read through the other chapters I began to realize that my rising score as I age through my sixties may not be due to my mental game at all. Instead, perhaps I hadn't paid enough attention to my fitness.

The author is a medical doctor and sports medicine therapist who begins by illustrating every muscle group in the body, and the spine, then explains which of these is activated by the golf swing, emphasizing those activated by the swing deceleration, where you are most prone to injury.

The point of the anatomy lesson is to justify a full range of stretching, strengthening and balance exercises that you can incorporate into a regular exercise routine, warm-up exercises prior to a round, and even short exercises during the round.

The fitness routine should improve your game, but equally important and stressed by this author, will substantially reduce the probability of a serious injury, especially to the lower back. Lower back pain is such a serious problem for golfers - especially older golfers - that he has an entire chapter dedicated to the pathology of back injuries and how they might be avoided. He even includes a chapter about how you should respond to a back injury if it happens on the course (which would have been helpful to me when I ended up in the emergency room after an errant drive at The Miami Beach Golf Club two years ago).

The number of exercises shown tends to overwhelm. But the author makes it clear that if you are only doing five or six stretching exercises, as I have daily for years, you are ignoring entire muscle groups that impact your performance and are susceptible to injury.

The recommended fitness exercises are well illustrated and properly explained.

None of the exercises require that you join a fitness center. They can all be done at home with a balance ball, a medicine gall, an exercise stretch cord and an optional weight bar, all of which can be bought on Amazon for under $50.

I don't know yet whether GOLF Rx will actually help my score. Maybe I'm just a hopeless hacker. But at least I will be a healthy hacker, thanks to this book.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.