Truck Reviews HPC Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on October 15, 2012
I really really really wanted to love this game. I have held healthy addictions to Diablo and Diablo 2 since the beginning, and I had preordered Diablo 3 the moment Amazon had it available. I had extremely high hopes as I grinded my way through each level.. but those high hopes began to diminish as the repetitiveness of playing each act over and over, and then over again became more and more grueling. But finally, I had reached level 60 and I began filling my inventory with rares found in Act 1 of inferno (the highest) difficulty. And then I discovered that I had to play act 1 inferno literally hundreds of times in order to find the items necessary to advance past act 2, and I realized the repetitiveness only gets worse. But I was addicted to the rush you get when you identify a bag full of rares, and that rush you get when a legendary or even set item drops, so I kept playing. For some reason I told myself it would become more fun than addictive, but trust me, that never happens. Blizzard took a page out of Zynga Games' book and focused on getting people hooked on the addictiveness rather than getting them hooked on the fun. And then, of course, Blizzard opens up the real money auction house. And so, people are almost forced to buy and sell items through the RMAH (I myself bought something for $45 like a sucker, because I was so frustrated one day that I wasn't finding anything decent in my many rare runs, even with 190% magic find). And, of course, Blizzard takes 30% of every dollar spent in the RMAH, and so you realize how they are making their money.. not from selling millions of copies of a $50+ game, but from virtual items that don't actually exist.

In the end, I found that I had wasted almost 100 hours of my time playing a video game that I hated. I lied to myself because I wanted to love it so bad, and I lied to myself because I couldn't see that I was hooked to the game for the wrong reasons. I even lied to myself the moment I first created my character and found that skill progression was dumbed down to the likes of a Harry Potter game made for children.. I should have quit then, but of course that is easy to say now. Just stay away, because the game is not going to get better. It is painfully obvious that each update benefits Blizzard and ignores the gamer. A good game community has a healthy balance of pleasing the customer and benefiting the company, but they found a way to ignore that by getting people like me sucked into a world of finding countless rares.
19 people found this helpful