Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch - Bad Warranty, September 28, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's AW80D-1AVCB 10-Year Battery Ana-Digi Bracelet Watch (Watch)
I used to love this watch. In fact, I've owned three of them over the years - all virtually identical. Sure, they only lasted me a few years each, but for the price you shouldn't expect Rolex reliability. When they are working, they are great - a lot of good features, reasonably attractive, very accurate.
HOWEVER, my latest one lasted only long enough to get splashed on a log ride at an amusement park. I'm guessing that the seals/gaskets were improperly installed and water leaked inside the case. I know that it was on my wrist for a little less than a month before it got splashed and now it had stopped dead.
No problem, I thought, as it warranted for a year and is supposed to be water resistant to 50 feet. "I'll just send it to Casio for repair or replacement," I said.
So I sent it to Casio's west-of-the-Mississippi warranty repair facility called The Time Machine. They sent me a card saying repairs would be free, but they needed $9.95 for shipping and handling. I sent the $9.95, noting that now the shipping both ways has just about equaled the original cost of the watch. Oh well, it's worth it to get the watch fixed - I really liked the watch.
Imagine my surprise when I received a box from The Time Machine a week later, containing my still-dead watch! A cryptic notation on the invoice said "Physical damage voids the warranty." THERE WAS NO PHYSICAL DAMAGE! I can only surmise that The Time Machine thinks that splashing water on the watch constitutes "physical damage".
A series of email exchanges with Casio yielded no better suggestion than I send it to their east coast facility at my own expense. No thanks, Casio, that would make this experience exceed the cost of a new watch.
So I'll throw this watch away and get a new watch, but not another Casio. Despite my good experiences in the past, Casio's failure to honor their warranty has soured me on their products.
If you buy this watch, enjoy it, but don't get it wet. Most are water resistant; some clearly are not!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2016, 12:03:37 PM PDT
Mark says:
Just had a similar experience with their warranty from the East Coast repair. Sent this watch in since it had moisture showing inside. Verdict was a cracked case, so no warranty, but they'd send a replacement for ~$30, shipped. Er, no. How is a cracked case not a manufacturing defect unless there is obvious physical abuse?? The rep said is was near one of the screw holes - so yeah. It's a weak point in the case. Manufacturer's defect. <sigh> I'm rethinking my Casio FanBoy-ship. :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›