Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great camera, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) - Wi-Fi Enabled (Electronics)
The image quality and high ISO performance from this camera will blow you away. My first impression was that it is a full 2 stops better than my 7D; to be conservative, I will say a stop and a half. Other reviewers have put this sensor at roughly equal to the 5DMK3. I am not sure how it compares to the 1DX, but the fact that we can even ask that question tell you how good this camera is. (The 1DX costs 3 times as much.)

At the highest ISO settings, the 6D will take images of things I can barely see. They will not be "fine art" quality, but if you think that Bigfoot is throwing rocks at your cabin in the middle of the night, this camera could make you famous. In slightly brighter conditions, this allows you to use a faster shutter and/or smaller aperture to get the same exposure. Most of the best shots, indoor or out, happen in less than "daylight" conditions.

The controls on this camera are simpler and easier to use than the 7D, without giving anything up. (Who really needs a dedicated picture style button?) I also like the locking mode dial, having ruined a number of pictures over the years by brushing this dial on my coat, gloves, camera bag, etc.

The built-in GPS is a cool feature, but you should know that it uses power even when the camera is off. My battery went from 97% to 70% overnight, with the switch turned off.

I was a little disappointed with the autofocus screen, not so much because of the number of focus points, but their arrangement. I would like to see them extend closer to the edges and corners of the frame, rather than clustering in the center. To be fair, this arrangement is pretty much standard. The 6D is very similar to the 5Dmk2, but with greater low-light sensitivity.

This camera is offered with the 24-105L as the kit lens. This is one of the most popular and highly-rated lenses of all time, and in the kit it is real bargain.

For me, the 6D is a good complement to the 7D. The 7D has a terrific AF system and gives greater reach to a telephoto lens, while the 6D provides more wide-angle options and superb low-light capability. The 6D is marketed as an "entry level" full frame camera, but I know that many pros are MORE concerned than some enthusiasts about getting a return on their camera dollar. I predict that you will see a lot of pros (who aren't shooting sports) look very closely at this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012, 11:04:54 AM PST
I disable GPS at the end of a shoot to stop the battery drain.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012, 9:02:16 AM PST
MW says:
Got a chuckle out of the Bigfoot comment....thanks for the smile :)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 5:26:46 PM PST
Hi.
I too own a canon 7d, and I want now full frame (I would be switching/upgrading, not complimating). Keeping my 7d? Go for 5d mkII or spending a bit more for 6d? I care about image quality most of all. But I do like the focus of my 7d, and really I'm doing amazing work with this APS-C sensor. I don't do sports, but I shoot dogs which tend to move. Will my final images be better with 6d? What do you think?!
PS. I also loved the bigfoot gag.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 9:13:45 AM PST
SEN says:
Hi Roberto. At lower ISO, say under 400, I do not think you could see the difference between the two. I like to shoot wildlife, (eagles etc) so I will not part with my 7d. Other than that, if I could only have one camera it would be the 6d. Thanks for asking.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013, 1:13:02 AM PST
prashan3253 says:
WOW Great Review. . I am hoping to buy a full frame camera, just for `Landscape' photography and nothing else!.. I currently own a Rebel T2i + 10-22mm for landscapes...should I stick with that or sell it up and buy the 6D+17-40 or 6D+16-35 ? Which combination would give me better Image Quality & a good depth of Rich colours?

Posted on Feb 5, 2014, 8:48:04 AM PST
J Gwinn says:
It depends on what you are using this camera for. If you are in situations shooting between 6400-25800 ISO this camera beats the 7d..in fact from about 8000iso upwards the 7d/APS-c bodies are not even usable due to high noise levels. I gave the 6d a 5 star rating due to affordability and usability at high ISO levels. As i said in my review if you typically shoot between 100-400/800 Iso or use flash to control the exposure this camera would be a huge waste of money. Also better Bokeh for Full frame vs APS-c bodies effect is a myth. To achieve the same results you can use a shorter focal length on the APS-C body and step into your subject to get Identical depth of field. The dpreview site has a depth of field calculator in which you can enter the input values to show DOF according to crop factor/focal length
‹ Previous 1 Next ›