Lyft Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

on October 15, 2010
The unit includes 35mm slide and negative carriers, the power adaptor, USB cable and a case. There's no film strip carrier.

Got it to primarily scan slides, so these comments apply to scanning slides only, and the results so far are very disappointing (using the SilverFast software). There's a decrease in sharpness; images have a slightly out of focus look, with none of the focus "crispness" of the original slide. Colors have a dull and lifeless look, and no amount of adjustment brings them to where they match the original slide. The auto-adjust (in SilverFast and the rest of the bundled software) totally distorts the colors. Reds have the typical overblown digital look, and getting a nice white seems impossible.

The slide and negative carriers have a slight amount of play when they're inserted in the machine; if they're not correctly oriented, the scanned image is slightly askew so a preview scan is a necessity. The scanner is very slow, especially in the multi-scan and multi-exposure modes, and the higher resolution settings. I thought lower resolution scans (below 3200dpi) were marginally acceptable, so dropping the resolution below 3200 to speed up the process wasn't an acceptable option for me. For a simple, "Straight" scan of a slide, the results seem better to me using "quick scan" which doesn't use the SilverFast software.

It occasionally "crashes" giving a message saying the scanner is not ready (apparently this has been an ongoing issue for Plustek OpticFilm scanners for a while now, judging from what I found when researching for a solution); the only thing that fixed the problem was to restart the computer. Regarding the construction: I wonder about the quality of the plastics used; was dusting off the slide carrier with a large soft makeup brush, and found that a small piece of plastic broke off the carrier.

From everything I've read about the SilverFast software, I expected better. The user interface is too busy, with 5 separate windows opening when the program is launched; the programmers sure didn't take into account the end user. Some settings just don't want to work; example, it refuses to take a different output setting for the image size (again, when scanning a alide). There's no confirmation some of the other tools/features are either accepted or being made after clicking on the appropriate button (such as multi-scan, multi-mode, the iSRD dust removal). The other bundled software included is Presto PageManager and Presto ImageFolio. (Today, 11/5/10, I searched Amazon for Silverfast software to see what I might find; sometimes reviewers post some good, helpful info. Found SilverFast SE with 4 reviews and a unanimous 1-star rating....so much for that idea).

Software and drivers installed easily with no problems (on a Windows Vista computer) and the desktop footprint is much smaller than a flatbed scanner; those are the best things I can say about it. This is my first dedicated film scanner; until now I've used flatbed scanners. I once did freelance commercial and advertising photography, did all my own darkroom work, and been an avid photographer since I was in high school, so I have a definite idea of the kinds of results I want, and the 7400 doesn't give me what I hoped for. Maybe once I master the SilverFast software I'll think differently, but in my opinion it shouldn't take that much work to make a straight, accurate scan of an original (slide) that was fine to begin with. Last of all, I think it's overpriced even at the $240 I paid for it (new).

Update 12/3/10: Color calibrated my HP w1907 monitor with a Spyder 3 Express Datacolor DC S3X100 Spyder 3 Express. Slide scan colors still aren't as close as I would like to the originals but are a bit better.

Final update: I ran out of patience trying to get the results I wanted and gave it to a friend to play with.
review image review image
22 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.