Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on February 23, 2009
Using this with a Sony BD player and Onkyo 5.1 amp linked via coax audio; TV via HDMI. After all settings were completed, the action and big explosions sounded great. If you listen to movies using TV speakers, you don't know what you're missing.

BUT I couldn't hear dialog. Checked all settings, and searched online forums. I tried to boost the dB for the center but still couldn't hear. Speakers are connected via Monster Cable instead of the flimsy speaker cable provided (so small the connectors won't even hold it). Then I used the test tone from the amp to find out the center channel speaker doesn't work. I'm using an existing bookshelf speaker for center for now.

Otherwise, the bases sound fine and rest of the speakers seem more than powerful enough for my tiny home theater room. Watched Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3-D with 6-year old, and the combination 3-D video and 3-D audio were a winner with him.

For a small room, with a decent amp and proper cables (do yourself a favor, and get at least 16-gauge) this set should work just fine for most movie lovers. Audiophiles should look elsewhere. And test all speakers before you throw out the packaging (as I did).

UPDATE: after mentioning to Amazon the center channel was not working but I didn't want to pack everything up, they promptly shipped me a new set FOC - with pre-paid return as well. Next day. New center channel works great, and sound has greatly improved. Nicely done!

UPDATE 02/17/2012 (3 years later): Have had absolutely no issues with this speaker set. I just purchased a new Onkyo receiver and was looking for additional speakers, because they have held up so well. My family enjoys watching movies and we use these at least 30 hours a week. Came across my own review and figured I'd provide an update. My original opinion stands: audiophiles look elsewhere, but everyone else: you can't go wrong with these (bought from Amazon). Now if only I could just get two more speakers....

Update 8/2/2012: Yes, I bought another set. Using two of the speakers to complete my 7.1 audio in my TV room, and using the 3.1 left over for a second location. I had no issues whatsoever buying another set because I knew it would be good. Also upgraded to 5 stars as this set was perfect. Seriously recommend this set!
2929 comments| 566 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.