Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on March 24, 2007
I just bought this gate because I needed something semi-permanent in my living room to keep my new puppy from running all over the house. My first gate looked very cheap and kept falling down because it didn't have a door and I just propped it against the wall. I needed a gate with a door.

I checked at least 3 different sites besides Amazon for a "rich" looking gate WITH a door. I landed on this one.

PROS:

1.) Looks nice and elegant

2.) The door swings open both ways (very nice)

3.) Brown / tan (much nicer than the plastic grey colors like Grayco)

4.) Solid design (wood and steel, nice)

5.) The gate locks at the top and the bottom at the same time, making it impossible for my puppy to push his way through at the bottom.

6.) Lock is nicely positioned (but see #5 in the CONS below).

CONS:

1.) ONLY the door is wood, ALL of the gate material is metal. Would be nicer is the entire gate was the same wood and the hardware was metal.

2.) The door does not swing 180 degrees open. The door only opens to about 110 degrees so because it's not flush with the gate, my dog or kids sometimes run into it.

3.) The color of the gate does not match the door. It's close and it compliments it, but it's not a match.

4.) The rubber feet that touch the wall (I'm not talking about the adjuster knobs, because they are brown) to hold it in place against the wall are grey. At this price, they should be brown to match the gate. I don't know how the company missed this one.

5.) The handle to open the gate only works in "baby-proof" mode. I which you could deactivate the thumb button and make it so that you only have to lift up on the handle to open. Not the thumb & lift up. Just a convenience thing. It's sometimes a little tricky when both your handles are full with grocery bags.

6.) The screws are shiny silver. They should have painted them brown as well. (Richell, it your reading this, you could have anodized them dark brown like some many other screws, that way they're less noticeable.)

7.) THIS IS THE BIGGY **IMPORTANT** This gate only works in certain segments. Unless you're really handy with tools and a welding torch you must pay attention to this. This gate will ONLY fit on the following openings, NO EXCEPTIONS:

35" to 37" with no side gates (just door)

47" to 49" with one side gate attached

59" to 61" with both side gates attached

When I bought this gate, I didn't understand this and I was lucky that my opening is 47". If it was only 45" I would have had to return this gate. There is no way around this.

Overall this is a quality gate, but just know what you're getting.

I would buy this gate again if I had to make this choice all over.

I gave this gate 4 stars instead of 5 because only the door was wood. If the gates and door were wood, I would have given it 5 stars.
99 comments| 270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?