Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars 60.9cs Install Comments, September 26, 2010
This review is from: Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers (Pair) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Built a system for my 2002 Yukon XL, I know, ok call it a Suburban. Room was an issue as I wanted no loss of utility in the vehicle, I found this was a compromise. Power is everything to obtain transparent sound that does not distort at even relatively high volumes. I chose the Alpine PDX-5 for three reasons 1) it had five channels at sufficiently high wattage 2) was very small and would fit under the left rear seat and 3) gossip was that although the specs quote at loose < 1% THD it would be clean. As far as amps go, IMHO there is no such thing as too much power because you only use what the volume requires, it is that simple. The Alpine is a good amp and my selection of speakers helped the amp a bunch.

Chose two Infinity 60.9cs 2-way component systems sets with a pair in the front doors and a woofer in the rear door and its tweeter in the very back pillars. The Infinity's have a very high Sensitivity (93 db@1 watt@1meter), therefore they are very miserly when it comes to power. The rule of thumb is every 3 db increase in volume requires a doubling of wattage so they are way ahead of say a speaker with a sensitivity of say 87. They are crystal clear and indeed I hear stuff in the music I don't hear in other systems.

The tweeters come with like (5) ways to mount them and the one that I love and worked for me was a threaded cylinder that has a mating basket that fits in it.. The cylinder permits varying the depth of the mount (out or into the plane) by inserting homemade spacers and the basket allows aiming the tweeter at what looks like up to 45 degrees! The tweeters I replaced up front are now directed right up to the front passengers, very powerful stuff.

The speakers come with their associated passive crossovers. These things are clunky at best and I ended up putting a set under each rear seat. They could have been made with the corresponding components (for example the coil) being put with its driver (woofer) as an assembly which I would have liked. Regardless, they work very well as evidenced by the sound.

For the bottom end I required a very shallow 8" for my factory sub box. Among the vast number of 8" out there (is there another?), I selected the Pioneer TS-SW841D. It turns out it is a feisty little guy and provides good bass down to 60 HZ, HUG. No really that is the 5 db down point in a closed box. It is way better than some 8" in open air in many a car. What I found that was very important was setting the Alpine's high- pass to the 60.9CSs to 75 hz and the sub low-pass to 75 hz. Otherwise there is a spike of bass that will give you a headache for sure. Later I plan to go with a Stealthbox but for now the 8 sounds just fine
By the way, got a Pioneer DEH-P7200HD deck and media selection is phenomenal compared to factory. Need to use it for a while to be able to comment on usability.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2011 9:22:36 AM PST
duditude says:
You have a similar setup as my 2001 Yukon (just posted my review a few days ago), I saw your review before I bought the 60.9CS's which was very helpful. Great job on the 60.9CS rear door installs - you have more patience/skill/talent than me!

I was wondering if the 8" sub is working for you? The Infinity's are so clean & loud on the mid & high's, I was wondering if the 8" sub rounded out the sound or if you really need to push it (the sub) to get the sound balanced? I need to get a new 8" for my factory location, was looking at the Infinity Reference 8" or the Alpine 8" dual voice cone, and an amp, haven't measured up the space just yet. Trying to get it right the first time.

Also, how do you like the PDX-5? I was looking at the same setup, have seen mixed reviews on the PDX-5, but it looks like the perfect amp for what I'm trying to do.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:26:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 4:27:33 AM PDT
Eric L. Egan says:
I have a '96 Ford Explorer with an Alpine PDX-5! I am running an Alpine CDA-105 head unit, Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5" in the front doors with the the tweeters mounted on the "A" pillars bouncing off the windshield, Pioneer TS-4672R 4x6 3 ways in the rear doors, an Alpine SWS-1043D Dual Voice Coil 10" woofer in a closed box and a 2 fared cap. I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly Alt Rock and this system has never let me down! Every one that has heard it is amazed at the power and sound that the PDX-5 puts out! The test sheet that came with mine said it was putting out 112 watts to each 4 front channels and 430 watts to the sub. I have only hit the thermal overloads once, took about 5 minutes for it to cool down, but never hurt it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›