53 of 58 people found the following review helpful
More than "just" THE BOOK on community building,
This review is from: Engagement from Scratch!: How Super-Community Builders Create a Loyal Audience and How You Can Do the Same! (Paperback)
Once upon a time I had some questions about building a community. Then I read this book. Now I do not have anymore questions. What I have instead is a great motivation and confidence. I am not ashamed to admit that I am ex-skeptic who became a believer.
As far as learning by reading other people experiences goes, this book goes all the way. And then some more. That is why I think about it more as "experience of community building" than "reading a book". Book itself was amazing and answered 90% of all general questions I ever had on this topic. But then I sent mail to Danny and asked him about remaining 10% of my questions. And what did he do? He answered them in speed and quality that left me speechless. And not just once, but two times in a row.
By doing so he showed me with his example, how person who wants to build community behaves. At the same time he gave me first hand experience how it is to be on the receiving end i.e. how people feel and react on such behavior. I was able to understand the value of taking time to care and communicate with each and every person (something all authors in the book mentioned), regardless if she is a known member of your community or just a prospective follower. It was a free coaching lesson and I would be lying if I would say that he bought me with this. He just made me more than happy to sell/surrender myself.
I am sure there are other good books out there on this topic, but after reading this one, I do not feel a need to check another book. I feel ready and eager to start building some community of my own. All my questions on this level are answered. Of course, if and when I start doing it, I will get a lot of new questions which will be on a more detailed and practical level, but even if that happens I know now whom I can ask for help.
Reading no book will build your community for you and this book is no exception. There is no substitute for your own hard work and your own experiences on which you will have to learn. But what this book provides you is motivation and a chance to learn on the mistakes and successes of the people who made it. Hopefully this should help you avoid their mistakes and save yourself some time and energy, which should all increase your chances of success.
When you watch a good movie you forget that you are watching one. Reading this book was very comparable experience. Although authors of articles are different and their approaches are partly different, it was very easy to read it. I was surprised to discover a fine tuned system and not, as I initially expected, just a bunch of articles on the same topic from different famous bloggers and marketers. Clearly some articles are more exciting than others, but I did not found single one that I would recommend to skip.
Most of the time I had a feeling like Danny is some good friend, older brother or mentor who is taking me to a privileged backstage tour of web community builders. Tour which is all time exciting and at moments gets even intimate. This is the world that most of us observe just from the front end by reading popular blogs and maybe participating in the discussion by leaving comments. Being able to peek at that world from the other side was valuable to me and I guess could be to anyone interested to become part of it or interested just to understand it better.
Recommending the book to others and writing this review is my way of saying "Thank you Danny!".
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2011, 2:39:48 PM PST
Karan Bhatia says:
Very Helpful review Mr. Mellish - Karan
Posted on Jun 11, 2012, 12:59:07 AM PDT
Jack E. Adams says:
excellent review of subjects from different paradigms.
Posted on Jan 8, 2013, 9:55:49 PM PST
S. Guise says:
Danny Iny is exemplary in his communication skills and effort.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›