Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 8, 2004
I noticed this book in Barnes & Noble the other day and being a movie buff and obsessed with "Top 100" lists. I will first of all say that I pay attention to the American Film Institute's list of Top 100 movies and kind of compared the selections here with thos that the AFI came up with. While about 35 of the selections are the same, Kinn and Piazza came up with some rather interesting choices as to their Top 101 movies of all time.
First of all, the book needs to be error-checked. I found several errors, though not glaring, they were ther. Maybe the fact that I know a lot about movies made them more obvious, as I'm sure other books/magazines, etc. have had errors and I have passed over them. All that aside, the movies (and there are indeed 101 of them) are all good. In fact, there's some I haven't seen and after reading the book, I'm going out to check the films out, after all; that's what this is, a starting point to see some of the greatest movies out there.
I can't say I agreed with all of their choices, but all of the films have had some sort of critical acclaim. Each movie gets three pages of pictures, information about the cast and crew and even what the prominent critics have said about the movie (one featured moreso than others is the very negative Paulene Kael, what a sad life she leads if she can't get any pleasure out of these films). Some information about the background of the movie is printed as well and what the authors say about the movie (in little cartooish bubbles, no less).
I didn't have any major problems with the book, I don't feel it's any sort of definitive guide, per se as they didn't pick any Charlie Chaplin movies, no Buster Keaton movies and some are on the list that I don't think should be there (even as happy as I was to see "Airplane!" as #101, I can think of plenty others that should be in that spot). If you're into film and movies and, most importantly, ranking of them, then this is for you. What the authors are trying to accomplish by this book, is for the films to be seen. Granted, we know that The Godfather is good (yet they combined The Godfather and The Godfather Part II as one movie for their #1 pick), but I might just have to go check out "Funny Face" as they picked it as one of their favorites. Still, notable classics like "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" aren't on there!
In any case, it's a good book and very attractive looking. Heck, if people see it at your coffee table at a party, you can make them think you're a film critic! I'd recommend this book to any film buff.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?