May 21, 2013
First of all, I must commend Ms. Burt on her fantastic writing skills. She wrote this book as a young teen. Imagine the possibilities that could arise as she matures and her writing skills just keep getting better and better. She is definitely one to watch out for!

Normally, I tend to shy away from afterlife stories. They always tend to be the same thing! Either they become an angel, get a second chance or meet up with a long-lost relative. I was pleasantly surprised at the story line with this book though!

"One of the best parts of being a Guardian is that we get a chance to grow and change. We get to exist in both worlds. We know the secret of life and have the knowledge of death"

Callie has woken up "above" and she has to deal with the fact that she died and has been chosen to be a guardian. She has to go back to guardian school which is run by her grandmother AND her cousin, Blaize had died with her. So not only does she have to deal with her own death, but she feels responsible for Blaize's death too!

I loved all of the secondary characters! Kenzie is Callie's roommate and she is a pip! Definitely like a cheerleader that has eaten tons of cotton candy! Ansley is such a cutie, he is the first person Callie meets when she gets to the school and he is friendly enough to take her under his wing and show her around.

This leads us to Logan. Oh Logan, he runs hot and cold and Callie has a hard time reading him. You can really tell that he struggles to control his emotions and every once in awhile, he lets his guard down. He drives Callie crazy!

The story really tied itself together and I never expected it to go the way that it did. There were little surprises around every corner. Some of my favorite parts were when Callie was reminiscing thinking about her family. You could tell that they really meant a lot to her and she was having a hard time grasping her death.

It was not really a cliffhanger ending but, the book eludes to the fact that there are bigger things to come for Callie and I am patiently waiting to find out:)
2 people found this helpful