Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Something for Everyone, February 14, 2012
This review is from: The Green Smoothie Bible: 300 Delicious Recipes (Paperback)
This is the tenth green smoothie book I've bought. It's GOT to be my last!

The book opens with with an excellent, easy-to-understand tutorial on everything you need to know about incorporating green smoothies into your diet. This section is not overly long-winded, as in similar books. As might be expected, there is a hard sell towards consuming a high-raw-foods diet. The author discloses her favorite appliance for green smoothies, and it's not one of the two big names in high-speed blenders! She also discusses her favorite brand of superfood, and why.

What I like most about this book is that the author categorizes recipes according to specific benefits. For example, she has some blends meant for enhancing bone health, high-fiber, cardiovascular health, high-antioxidant, low glycemic load, etc. A short introduction to each section explains the author's understanding of said condition which gives rise to how and why the recipes were developed as such. Yes, other authors offer a smoothie for better skin, but it may just be lumped in with other sorts of recipes. There are other types of categories, too, like savory smoothies and dessert smoothies.

Each recipe is meant to render about 1 liter of green smoothie, or two servings. The recipes are way too fruit-heavy for my personal liking. I wouln't eat that much fruit out of hand. If you're like me and would like to use less fruit, I recommend The Healthy Green Drink Diet: Advice and Recipes to Energize, Alkalize, Lose Weight, and Feel Great I acknowledge that if you're new to green smoothies or want to teach your kids to freak out (and maybe enlighten) their friends, than these recipes would be just the thing!

Most of the recipes have ingredients that are easily found. There is minimal exotica; mostly that green superfood she likes. I also don't believe I can get my hands on a tamarillo. A little bit of maca, yacon syrup, and mesquite powder-very little. If you're not up to using that stuff, you can still get plenty of mileage out of this book.

This book is recommended for beginners switching to a high-raw diet using green smoothies. If you're a veteran at drinking 10-ingredient smoothies from, say, Victoria Boutenko's books, most of these recipes will seem really simplistic. I'd say this book would be of supplemental use, but worthwhile.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2012, 6:09:04 PM PST
W. Sprague says:
I'm just getting into this, have a nice blender but my greens are still little "bits" that make getting it down a little hard. Can I ask what two blenders she mentions? I'm in the market but can't really do the $400+ models.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012, 6:55:50 PM PDT
JS says:
I second that! I would also like to know which blender she uses.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012, 10:19:39 PM PDT
Claire Burke says:
She states in the book that she uses a Thermomix. I believe they cost approx $1,400.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012, 8:18:06 AM PDT
W. Sprague says:
Thank you. I ended up purchasing a Waring Pro MX1000 3.5 HP blender about a month ago. I'm loving it! Liquifies the greens! :) My family won't drink the "green" shakes but I made a fruit smoothie this weekend that my hubby said was better than Jamba Juice. I love that I can get the same texture they have.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012, 8:03:40 AM PST
Vanguard says:
Buy a Nutri-Bullet and be done with it. $99.00 at Target and the thing liquifies ANYTHING. No chunks, even with carrots and kale. The Nutribullet cup isn't very big but I just pour the contents into a piture and then juice more until the piture is full. Works great.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›