Bubble Witch Saga 3 BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on April 20, 2011
I (like some other reviewers) had been waffling between the Britax Boulevard 70 and the Recaro ProRide. I got a coupon for the Recaro and it was on sale so I decided to go for it. We love this seat. It is a stealthy, sturdy, soft, safe, monster of a car seat. I have an 06 Acura TL and it is installed Rear Facing behind the passenger seat (as it will be until she's at least 2) and if this thing was any bigger it would not work for our car. The space between the opening of the seat and the car door opening is just barely enough room for me to safely put her in and take her out. When she gets bigger I might have to come in from the other side and put her in there or move the seat to the middle if it will even work there. Having said that though I did NOT have to adjust my front seats at all!!!! We had to move them all the way up to where we were eating the dashboard for the SnugRide 35 to fit but didn't have to move them up at ALL for the recaro.. so when I say huge I mean its really tall. It comes up as high as the front seats! My daughter is only 3.5 months old and didn't need a bigger seat but she HATED her infant seat so as a result of that I was looking for the perfect convertible for us. We have had the Recaro for 2 weeks now and so far she is happily riding it. I will update my review later down the road.

Installation: Easiest installation ever but bring a towel or pool noodle out with you... I don't see how this thing could ever be "level to the ground" Rear Facing without it. And really do make sure its level or else when your baby falls asleep his or her head will fall forward (leveling the seat correctly is what provides the angle of recline for RF along with seat reclined feature required for RF) and could result in breathing issues. The manual was a little difficult to read to reroute the LATCH straps for RF mode but after a little while I got it perfect. Tip: When you reroute the LATCH straps for RF make sure you put them behind the crotch buckle strap under the cover or else the tighter you latch the seat down the lower the crotch buckle goes until its all the way down into the seat and hard to use!! It said nothing about that in the manual and after I got it all perfectly installed I have to take it back out and redo it!

Few notes:
1. Strap Padding - It could just be because my baby is not even 4 months old, but she doesn't have much room between the bottom of her head to her shoulders and the strap padding is quite bulky there and seems like its a little big for her (shes almost 16 pounds). The good part about this though is that it holds her head up perfectly when she's sleeping, but they just seem to be a little too big. I don't know how on earth a 5 pound baby could fit in there. I am sure that once she starts holding her head up higher and stronger it will not be an issue anymore but I am only writing about this because I think some people buy this seat to use from birth on. I would not recommend a newborn in this seat!
2. Male connecters of the buckle / Metal buckle parts - they always fall down the sides between the seat and her legs and I have to fish them out and often times untwist them. Its not that big of a deal but it does make putting her in there take a little longer which makes her a little fussy because like most babies they want to be moving while sitting in a car seat!
3. This next note is catch 22 -- the SIP Head wings make it physically impossible for me (5'6".. pretty normal body type) to reach around or see her from the front seat. For example - She always wants her binky in the car and when it falls out I have either pull over sometimes or wait for a red light put my car in park, take of my seat belt and turn around and lean as far as I can without injuring myself to reach her lol. Unless you have go-go gadget arms or stretch armstrong capabilities you will not be able to reach around those things! BUTTTT that is one of the things that makes this seat so SAFE! This seat literally wraps itself around your baby which is great but it sucks for trying to reach them from the front seat. If we go on long rides either me or daddy will have to sit back there with her! I have one of those mirrors up so I can see her from the rear view and i can BARELY see her!

Overall, we are happy with our purchase. Hope this was somewhat helpful to any parents out there who want specifics!

***7 MONTHS LATER***
We are still more than happy with this seat! I have nothing new to report other than the fact that it still looks brand new and she is growing into it with ease! I still have all the original padding in there at 10.5 months and she has plenty of room! We have also used this seat in a 2007 Mercedes C230 sedan and it fits like a glove, no seat moving/dashboard eating in that car either!!! This is a great seat and not a day goes by that I am not happy for my purchase! :D
1212 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?