Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on February 6, 2013
Absolutely a life changing device for me. I have to give up my office with the arrival of a baby boy. I fretted about this as I love my study but I really like my desktop computer in the study.

My wise wife suggested I use one of our existing notebooks instead --- a no go for me. If I am sitting at a desk then I don't want to be on a laptop conversely for mobile use I am not a fan of notebooks due to the weight and battery life.

I went to the Microsoft Store after watch all the microsoft commercials. I was hesitant as I had previously updated my desktop home computer to Windows 8 and what a hassle as I had to learn something new and different. I really liked the Windows Surface at the MS Store though --- Windows 8 was truly made for a tablet but the Surface ran Windows RT and if I lose my desktop then I would not be able to use my Windows programs (Quicken, etc)with the Surface. The Microsoft Rep told me that the Surface Pro was on the way but would weigh 2lbs and have a short battery life. No thanks.

I came home and did some research and found the Asus Vivotab Smart which magically ran full Windows 8 on an Intel Atom processor. I was again hesitant as I had a netbook with an Atom processor years ago and it was slow. But the reviews were great on the Asus Vivotab Smart. So I bought it along with the cover and keyboard.

Game charger. Its super fast and seamless. Plays movies without a hitch. The system is as fast as my eyes can watch the screen and fingers can swipe. Windows 8 is weird on a desktop but is by far the best tablet OS going. I liked my Ipad and wifes Andriod phone but they were toys to a certain extent. This has all the same features except that Windows 8 is more intuitive as a tablet than the Ipad and Android. Plus I can run my beloved Quicken and Microsoft Office, etc.

I won't miss my desktop computer and office (save that is where I watched football).

Pluses:
- 9 hrs of battery life (I can confirm this)
- Windows 8 is the ultimate tablet OS (use your thumbs)
- weighs ~1.25lbs --- light
- get the cover and keyboard --- the are a must, the keyboard is normal sized and the cover is a kickstand also
- Screen is super clear and fresh --- viewing angles are great
- Windows Metro/modern is great and it took getting this tablet for make me figure that out
- Full Windows although I only find myself use quicken, office for the traditional windows programs
- Take the dive and sign up for the integrated Microsoft experience: outlook.com email and use skydrive cloud for you storage which is free. I resisted this at first but once I switched over to outlook.com IMAP email and the cloud for "my documents" --- I realized I was stupid for waiting so long.
- Thus Windows 8, outlook.com and skydrive synchs all my computers and tablets seamlessly with zero work. So with this tablet synched my email, music, documents, pictures, etc when I turned on the tablet for the first time and logged in with my email.
- Kills complexity in my life. Now my computers, notebooks and this tablet are on the same synchronized platform even my background picture and passwords are the same. So I am going to sell my Ipad (never liked Itunes) and my wifes Andriod phone is on chopping block.

Minuses:
- The App store is still developing which is a bit of a hassle. Netflix and audible.com, fitbit are there but my wife wants the facebook app, pinterest (wife's request), skyward and a few others.
- Apparently computer writers/reporters are fanboys of Apple and Google which will be a disservice as their readers will stay with those platforms instead of switching to Windows 8 tablets thus the App store may be slow to reach a critical mass of users.
- Microsoft made a mistake with the Surface. Its beautiful but RT is limited compared to Windows they should have taken the Asus approach with full Windows 8 on a Intel Atom. This tablet is lighter, has the same battery life and all the windows goodies.
- at $499 its more expensive than Androids although beats the pants off Apples considering you full Windows 8
- Does not come with Office installed

Get this tablet.
1313 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.