Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, fantastic sound, but I can't use it, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Monster Turbine PRO High-Performance In-Ear Speakers (Copper) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The Monster Turbine Pro Copper (MTPC, or just Copper, below) is, without a doubt, the *BEST* *SOUNDING* *HEADPHONE* I have ever used, and I've used a lot... couple of specific points.

Bass response. I love organ music - and organ music sometimes has deep bass that (almost) no other recorded music approaches. For example, on some of the recordings of the Saint-SaŽns 3rd Symphony (the "Organ Symphony") there are fundamental tones as low as 16Hz. No home speaker system will reproduce these accurately at reasonable volume without a subwoofer - at least, none that I know of. You might get a "doubling" of the fundamental tone (2nd harmonic) at a fairly high level at 32Hz, and think you're hearing the right note, but you're not. In fact, you can't really "hear" it - you more or less "feel" it. My Sennheiser HD600 headphones can hint fairly strongly at the deepest notes, but you're not going to feel like you're in a concert hall with a massive organ moving enough air to lift you out of your seat. The Coppers, uniquely in my experience, actually got the tone and timbre, the shear majesty of the music, right. I've heard this performed live a few times in a concert hall that had an organ that could perform this piece the way the composer wanted - and the Coppers made me feel like I was back there. I tried many IEM's before I tried these, and none of them came close in the really, really deep bass department. Which makes me all the sadder (see below.)

Impact (transient response, speed, whatever you want to call it.) Wow. No, wait a second... *WOW* Sit in a small club with a rock band. Sit close. Wince when the drummer starts letting loose. *THWACK* and you blink and jump back a bit in your seat. There's a visceral impact you get live that you (almost never) get listening to a recording. Most recordings don't really capture it, and for those few that do, finding a way to play it back so recreate that impact is not easy. Really good speakers with enough power from a really good source can sort of do it. Really good headphones properly driven can also do it, though it's different - the "thwack" is there, but it's outside coming in, not inside letting loose. ("What did he say???") With the Coppers, the first time I put on Muse - Uprising I not only jumped and blinked, I realized I'd never, ever heard a recording that sounded "real" in this regard. Never. Which makes me all the sadder...

Other stuff - midrange, high end, transparency, soundstage, imaging, tone, timber, pace, rhythm, vocals, yada yada yada - the Coppers were at least as good as any other headphone (or speaker, for that matter) that I've ever used. The only possible criticism I could offer of their sound is the dynamics might even be a bit expanded - sort of like running a non-encoded signal through a dBX decoder, for you old guys out there. Of course, I have no way of knowing whether the Coppers are more right, and simply reproducing the dynamic range with less compression than I'm used to hearing, or whether the Coppers are editorializing a bit. They're dynamic as all get out, though. Which makes me all the sadder...

I simply cannot use these. I spent hours and hours fussing with every tip included with the Coppers - and that's a lot of tips - and not *ONE* *SINGLE* *ONE* of them fit me right. I guess I have weird ears or oddly shaped canals or something, because I've not heard others with this problem, but it drove me absolutely nuts. I could, at times, by pushing and prodding and twisting and tweeking and pulling and swearing, get a fit that let me hear what these things could do. But it only lasted until I took the phones out - the next time I tried to put them back in, I'd start with the rigamarole all over again, sometimes achieving a good seal, mostly not. I even tried 3rd party tips - head-fi dot org has many suggestions - but even those didn't work for me. One Saturday afternoon in a fit of extreme stubbornness I spent (literally) five hours trying every which way with every tip I had to get a decent seal, and all I managed to do was mess up my left ear to the point where it was two days before I could hear properly out of that side. Think all the popping caused by the vacuum when pulling the phones out (and in and out and in and out and in) caused some significant irritation.

I finally gave up and sent them back.

This is not unique to me with the Coppers. I've tried other brands of IEM's and none of them fit me either. Go figure. I guess some people just aren't meant to use IEM phones. Which is a real bummer, because they really do sound wonderful.

Please don't let this review steer you away from these - far from it. I promise you they sound simply amazing. Just be aware that for at least one person who wrote a review, they couldn't get them to fit. Which is a good reason to by from Amazon, of course - if you get these and they don't work, you can always return them.

Be careful with you ears, though. If they don't fit, no amount of stubborn attempts at jamming them in will solve the problem. Trust me on that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2011 7:52:34 AM PDT
Lim Yiwei says:
Why not get Comply tips to counter that problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 8:02:46 AM PDT
Another option is custom tips--this means that one has ear sleeves made specificially for one's unique ears. You go to an audiologist and have a mold made of your ear canal, send it off and get back tips that fit perfectly. Or, at least, that is the idea. I actually had a set of custom tips made for my coppers and I've never looked back. There are several companies that can make them for you. 1964 Ears is one of these. It's a little pricey, but worth it, at least for me.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 2:14:22 AM PDT
You don't have weird ears, or at least not if these earphones are your only reason for thinking so. These are heavy, that is a flaw, you're aren't the only one who can't get a good fit and seal with any of the tips, I used to sell this at the store I work at. They simply slant downwards because of the weight, and the rubber tips can't keep them straight in. Many people, me including, cannot get a good fit with these, the Golds, or the Miles Davis Tribute earphones that Monster also sells. If you're looking for a great high end IEMs look no further than Sennheiser's IE series, I personally own the flagship model the IE 8, they have superior sound quality, they are very light and are by far one of the most comfortable set of IEMs I've used, they also have a detachable cord which is an important feature considering that damaging the cord is the easiest thing to do to IEMs. The IE series also have a far better built quality, I remember that we received quite a number of Monster earphones falling apart due to the cheap glue they use literally on every part of the earphones, the heavy metal housings only give you the illusion of good built quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 7:51:40 AM PDT
It is just a case of trial and error. My previous earphones were the Sennheiser IE7's but within three months a wiring fault developed, eventually got my money back and thought I might upgrade to the IE8's. To be honest, I could never get the 7's to stay in my ears and the ear hooks/clips didn't help either, so I reckoned that I'd probably have the same problem with the 8's. After perusing internet headphone reviews, I eventually settled on the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's and I think they're great and yes, they're fairly heavy but certainly well made but more importantly, they do remain in my ears and they are more comfortable than the IE7's! I guess a lot of it is down to getting the right eartip and seal, though Monster supply large quantity of tips, apart from the foams, I couldn't find a good fitting one for my ear canals. Trial and error has led me to using Sony Hybrid eartips and resultant sound far exceeds that of the IE7's.
So far, no part of the earphones has come unstuck (with the cheap glue!!) but should this happen, I'll console myself with the 3yr warranty and lifelong guarantee of breakage that Monster provide!

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 11:13:01 AM PDT
I second Lim's suggestion, try the Comply Foam tips, and you will not be disappointed!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011 7:13:28 PM PDT
I did try the Comply Foam Tips, specifically the P-series, large size. Still too small. I'm using FutureSonic Atrios now, and if I reverse the Comply's so the tapered end is against the earphone housing and the large, flat end is inserted into my ears, they *ALMOST* give me a good seal. Still not a total seal, and if I move too much I lose the seal totally, but if I sit still and have them inserted into my ears as far as they can go, they work better than anything else I've found so far. Wish they came one size larger.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 6:37:46 PM PST
Yan Wang says:
i recently bought a pair of them when they were on sale in canada for $99, and i agree with you they are the best earphones I have had. at that price they were a steal. i had other in-canals but i found the coppers are extremely comfortable. the super tips are indeed super comfortable. i have a trick that may be helpful for you: choose a super tip of your size, squeeze them with your fingers to make them smaller, and insert into your ears. they will then gradually recover to their original size and make a perfect seal. it does not hurt your canal and the sound is amazing. i am extremely happy with them. i am sure customized tips work better, but these are probably as good as you can get with generic tips.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 9:12:05 AM PDT
Ava says:
Get a custom mold done of your ear from an audiologist -- they will fit and will seal. ;p

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:08:55 PM PDT
Ted S says:
I have Comply foam tips (TX-400) on my Turbine Pro Golds and they make a world of difference in sound quality. The TP Gods are awesome as is, but the Comply's add a new level of comfort, sound isolation, and sound quality. They are like foam earplugs in the way they shape to your inner ear as well as the way they block noise. More sound isolation means you can listen to the details in your music at a lower volume and thus causing less potential thereat for ear damage. The custom quality of these create a firm seal in your ear and makes your IEM's hard to knock out, or bounce out accidentaly... Bottom line is - if you buy a quality set of in ears please spend the extra change to get these. If not, your really missing out and then why the hell did you spend the money on expensive ear candy? Did they go with your shoes?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:36:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2013 7:37:12 AM PDT
99 bucks??? Yan Wang, it sounds like you got a phony knock-off and didn't know it. There is NO WAY you will find the copper pros for that price brand new. Totally impossible.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›