Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as dust free as claimed, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Ever Clean Extra Strength Cat Litter, Unscented, 42 Pound Bag (Misc.)
I have used EverClean for years in a house with three cats. It is the best I have ever found for odor control and the clumps never break apart, even with three cats. Also, I rarely have to empty the whole box and start fresh, I just keep adding as the litter gets depleted and it never smells or gets "dirty" because of the super clumping ability.

So why the 3 stars?? A couple of reasons. The most important is that this litter claims to be over 99% dust free. If this is true then 1% dust is still A LOT of dust. The dust is very fine and gets everywhere. Plus it is not like normal dust - probably due to the ultra clumping ability the dust sort of "sticks" and can't always be wiped off of surfaces easily. We recently had to move our box to a different area to accomodate our 19 year old cat. The dust is now starting to accumulate on original art and higher end furniture - not good!

Then there is the smell of the litter. This litter is highly perfumed, so if your cat has just been to the box you will know it. It's not the most pleasant thing to wake up in the morning with a cat on your chest that smells of cat box perfume. I guess it is preferable to the cat smelling like cat urine but the perfume is so strong that if your cats like to sleep in certain areas like a chair or on the bed those areas will start smelling strongly of the perfume.

I am on the hunt again for a new litter. I am interested in the crystals but not sure the silica dust is any better than the clay dust? Also explored some of the corn litters and it seems that they are even dustier and more trackable (a yellow dust on top of it) with moderate to low odor control. I am going to try a crystal litter and Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Premium to see which I like best.

Update to review:

We tried Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter, 40 pound bag and this stuff is amazing! First off and most important - this stuff really is 99.9% dust free. You can take your hand and run through the litter and you don't get that powdery residue that most litters leave. Also when you fill the box no puff of dust as you pour it out. As added advantages - the litter itself has no smell at all, clumps really well and there is no odor from the cat box that we could smell while using this litter. All in all, just about the perfect litter!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2011, 1:24:32 PM PST
N. Gilbert says:
The litter is highly scented? It claims to be entirely unscented. What's up with that?

Posted on Feb 18, 2011, 2:28:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2011, 2:29:44 PM PST
Anonymous says:
I used Ever Clean for 9 years and finally had to give up on it because the product got dustier and dustier as the years went by (their claim of 99.9% dust free is a major untruth). We have happily switched to Nature's Miracle Odor Control. I once tried the silica crystals but my cats would not go near it...it's sooo different from other litters. Tried the other corn litters, World's Best being one of them. Nature's Miracle is the only success with our 3 cats and we're so happy to be healthier and dust free at last.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011, 1:39:39 PM PDT
R. Canada says:
Everclean sells both a scented and an unscented litter. This review is clearly for the scented. I use the unscented and all three of my cats love it. I cannot smell it or THEM; I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011, 7:04:59 PM PDT
ssa says:
Based on reviews here, I tried the unscented Ever Clean and it definitely is not unscented. The scent in very faint as I pour it into the litter box, but as the cats use the box and the deodorizers kick in, the box smells strongly of perfume. I am allergic to perfume and one of our cats will not use scented litter, so I may be more sensitive to this issue than others. But the unscented Ever Clean definitely has a perfume odor. The lesson: unscented is not the same as fragrance free.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011, 9:26:43 AM PST
Riolama says:
Same question - description says 'unscented.'

Posted on Mar 30, 2012, 3:31:32 PM PDT
Sharon TT says:
I switched to Precious Cat Ultra Premium 2 months ago and I can tell you for sure it is definitely NOT dust free. The first time I poured it into the box with the morning sun on it, I was shocked at how much dust I was breathing in and releasing into the house. Sorry, but it just isn't any where near dust free.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012, 5:55:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012, 5:57:42 PM PDT
Riolama says:
You are right, but I wonder if that's just the nature of kitty litter. . . any kitty litter.

I continue to use it because it conveniently comes to my door, rather than my having to deal with carrying a 40 pound bag from the store.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012, 7:23:13 AM PDT
Sharon TT says:
I agree, probably all litter but I would think especially any clay based. I guess a dustless, odor free, non tracking, inexpensive & light weight kitty litter is a dream not to be realized in my life time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012, 7:24:35 PM PDT
In about a month I plan to switch to Omega Paw Self-Cleaning litter box, so I can move it from my bathroom to my bedroom, and I have the litter locker II, so odor isn't really a big issue for me. Dust is an issue, but only when I'm pouring - I have hay fever. My cat doesn't seem to mind the dust of the few brands of common litter I've used so far, as far as I can tell she isn't particularly picky about the cat litter. Tracking is also an issue, but not really for the dust, more for the granules, and I can buy a mat for that.

The main thing I am looking for is simple. I need to find the litter with the strongest clumping capability, preferably with the least amount of dust and, if possible, unscented (like this one, even with the 'deodorizers' - I'm not really bothered, and neither is Lila, my cat). Any ideas? Because this product seems a good choice... and what size should I get for it to last her an entire month without me having to reorder within less than 30 days, but also without me having too much extra at the end of the month either?

Any answer is appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012, 3:00:12 AM PDT
freedevil says:
K. Hogan. I hope its not too late but the Omega Paw System will not require you to pour the litter often. In fact once the lid is on, you can just use a plastic cup (a large one). I usually just have to replace a cup and a half every week or so. You fill it initially to 3 inches and make sure it remains at that level every time you clean it. Once every 6 months or whatever schedule you want, you can completely clean out the litter and start fresh. I use precious clumping litter with my Omega Paw. Good luck.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›