Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Review by a 3D Connoisseur, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 60 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer and another 19 around 25%. At 55:40 minutes raindrops fall up to 50% and around 71:30 a flying stick of dynamite made a lot of my friends duck.

My last observation specific to this disk is hard to put into words but here goes; The 3D is done in such a way that it is hard to define "in the screen" and "out of the screen" effects. They usually flow between the two seamlessly making the surface of the screen (mentally) disappear. Ya know what I mean?

*** Funny with an enjoyable story line - Excellent graphics add to the 3D ***

MY 3D RATING = EXCELLENT (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2011, 6:37:07 PM PST
Catherine says:
I've just read all of your 3D reviews. I bought a 3D tv last week and was disappointed at the 3D quality of the bundle that came with it. Shrek 1-3, with rebate for 4. Only watched 1 & 2 though, and I can't say I noticed a single out of screen experience. I was disappointed, thinking 3D tv just wouldn't be as good as 3D in theatre is supposed to be. Your reviews have given me hope! Buying this and Resident Evil based solely on your comments. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011, 11:12:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2011, 11:43:21 AM PST
Glad I could help. I know what you mean, Shrek 1 was so uninspiring I haven't watched the others yet.
Shrek 1,2 & 3, when originally produced, were not in 3D. They reprocessed them into 3D so generally speaking they wouldn't be as good as #4. In Shrek 1 other than the depth 3D inside the screen I only noticed some shallow effects. The only other thing in my notes is that the farthest effect is at 52 ½ minutes. Robin Hood's knife makes it out up to 20% but IT HAPPENS IN A FLASH. If I remember correctly, at the end of a song, he holds it up then they zoom in on him. If you can pause it in the right spot, or slow mo to it, you'll get to see your first OOS effect! Sorry, but that will have to hold you over until your better stuff arrives.
Another title you should look at is Grand Canyon Adventure. It doesn't have a lot of effects but the bubbles floating around in mid air are pretty cool.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011, 10:31:06 PM PST
Thank you for all your reviews. They are very helpful and seem to be in line with what I have experienced. Will look for your reviews in the future.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011, 11:21:56 AM PDT
ronalee says:
I bought this based on Keith's review. Once again he was right on target!
I read all of Keiths reviews. He is great, and 99.9% always right about the 3D effects.
I wouldn't buy a 3D movie without reading his review first. I love the OOS effect. Keith tells it like it is. Thanks Keith for your informative reviews!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012, 8:59:17 PM PST
I C U says:
Thank you sooo much far all your 3D reviews, It really helps me decide whether to buy a 3D movie or not.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013, 6:36:27 AM PDT
Hello Keith I would like to say your the only reviewer weather working for a show or just a guy at home you tell us what we need to know about a 3D movie, the 3D. That said to help us understand better could you tell something on what you are viewing these 3D Blurays on. Is your set a DLP, LED or LCD and what size screen 61", 65", 73" 82" or a 100+" TV? What player do you use and receiver you have. then hows about telling us the differences between the moviie in 3D at the theater as aposed to what will it look like at home and one thing what is oos?
As for me I have a 2010 82" Mitsubishi HD/3D DLP Set, I use a PS3 (money reasons) I have a Marantz 7.1 HD/3D Receiver with Cambridge Soundworks 7.1 matched speakers. and active shutter glasses that came with the set I am not happy with the 3D in movies (Avatar 3D, RE: Aftermath) I heard that after market glasses will greatly improve my 3D, any thoughts would be great. thank you
Mike Bishop

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013, 10:32:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2013, 10:34:54 PM PST
The main thing to know is how big his screen is, and how far away he sits. That ratio affects the perception of depth that he rates in % terms. Frustratingly, I've never seen him provide this info, and he hasn't written any new reviews in a couple years.

As for the screen type, the biggest effect that has is in the presence and degree of ghosting.

The player doesn't really affect display quality. Most players would do little or no post-processing of 3D content.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013, 9:13:19 AM PST
Hi Mike,
I'm just a regular guy except I have been watching & collecting 3D movies since the days of the VCR and have been using active glasses for well over 20 years. I use a plasma with active glasses. I don't go to the movie theater because the passive 3D just does not work well (theater or at home) for me, underline me. OOS is short for `out of screen'. I have serious doubts that aftermarket glasses will improve your 3D unless the ones you have are malfunctioning but I have never owned a Mitsubishi system so you should seek out other owners & see what they say. You may also want to check for software updates for your TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013, 3:11:11 PM PST
Hi Not My Real Name,
Because everyone uses different screen sizes and are seated at varying distances, is precisely why I express the distances in a percentage. Test it out for yourself. Pause on an out of screen effect and make note of how far out it is.(for example an effect 25% of the way between the screen and you). Now, move yourself half way to the screen. You will now find that the effect (although not being as far out of the screen) is still approximately 25% of the way between you and the screen. Every subject in my test group fell within a +/- 5% range using various effects up to half way between the viewer and the screen.

Additionally, there is easily a +/- 10% difference between people, even on the same system at the same distance. This is due to eyesight and most importantly how each brain merges and interprets the two images to give the perception of 3D. My wife sees everything 5-10% farther out than I do, but on the down side, she sees more shallow OOS effects that shouldn't be out of the screen, given the context of where it is in the scene, in relation to the objects around it.

I have reluctantly provided equipment specs a few times but screen size and viewing distance becomes a moot point when expressing the distance in percentages.
The real key to using my reviews is if I report an effect at 25% and you see it at 35%, then for any effect on any of my reviews that I call 25%, you can reliably expect to see them at 35%.
Even though each person may perceive a different distance for a single same effect, it stays fairly consistent (+/- 5%) for that person from movie to movie.
Using percentages is how my reviews compare apples to apples for 99% of the people and systems out there.

Happy 3D ing,