Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it..., September 3, 2011
This review is from: The Abbey (Ash Rashid Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Never before have I felt the need to review a book, but the positive reviews for this book have compelled me to.

In a word, this book is TERRIBLE. There is nothing that rings true about the central character (a somewhat troubled, but ultimately good, Muslim detective from Indianapolis, with a bit of an alcohol problem!), but I found the number of cliches crammed into the first couple of chapters mildly amusing. However, as the cliches began to pile up I just got irritated by them and the bad writing style. I only finished to book so that I could write an informed review.

This book is about murdered teenagers, vampires, drug gangs, the Russian mob and biological weapons, although it would appear good value to get that many plot lines for 99c...I advise you not to bother.

My advice to the author...don't bring this character back in Fall 2011, like you threaten to do at the end of the book. Instead enroll in a writing class and learn how to develop credible characters and coherent plot lines.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2011 7:15:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2011 7:16:10 PM PDT
Sue Thompson says:
Thanks so much for your review. I'm astounded at the vampires today and avoid them (in print) like a plague. I'm continually dissapointed in Amazon's great deals~

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 7:44:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 7:45:08 PM PDT
Basil says:
All I needed to see in your review was the word "vampires" and that told me I wouldn't read it. I am so tired of all of the paranormal, witches, supernatural, vampire novels out there. I hope that other reviewers will please mention these anomalies in their reviews, even the 5 stars. This is just a personal dislike --- for other people---I don't judge what they read.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 7:33:37 AM PDT
Well, I have to say, I totally disagree with this review. While vampires are in the book, they are used as a slam to the popularity of them in movies and TV and a totally believeable plot device. He uses only the concept of vampires...there are no "real" vampires in the story. And while it may seem impossible, the writer does manage to weave in every one of those things you listed in a smart, effective way. It's a great book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 8:06:42 AM PDT
I agree with you Mary. As you said, there are no VAMPIRES in this book, so anyone who used that as a decision making tool should probably learn to read. I didn't like the beginning of the book, to be honest, I felt a little trepidation at first. The Muslim part bothered me at first because it felt almost gratuitous. But as the story developed I found the character of Ash to be intriguing enough to keep me reading. The story line showed flawed people all around, and isn't that what we all are, regardless of age or religion? People making stupid mistakes that can sometimes cost them their life. A detective that refused to let his gut instincts be quashed by the powers that be. I had figured out early on who betrayed him, but kept reading because I found the premise of a microbiologist gone bad to be intriguing and totally plausible. I don't seek out flaws in a book when I choose to read it, I look to be entertained and interested. Overall I liked the book and would read more from this author. I could do without the religious references, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 2:06:56 PM PDT
Sue Hovey says:
I agree with Mary, too. I found the book to be interesting and Rashid to be completely believable. Of course I don't know any Muslim detectives who live in Indiana, but even so, I was totally caught up in the tale. The flaws have to sneak up on me and hit me in the face in order to distract me, and that didn't happen. A good read. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 6:39:07 PM PDT
peteg says:
I liked it too and wondered whether the initial review was a little harsh. I'm looking forward to reading more from Chris Culver.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 1:56:16 PM PST
M. Mckelvy says:
Agreed! I read this because it was cheap and recommended on my kindle. 4.5 stars couldn't be bad right? It was, if I didn't hate unfinished books so much I would have set it down after chapter one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:45:36 AM PST
Yngad says:
If you read the book, you'll discover that it is not about vampires. There are kids go to a vampire-themed club, but no one thinks they are really vampires.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:46:13 AM PST
Yngad says:
There is nothing paranormal about this book. The reviewer mustn't have read the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 7:02:24 AM PST
J. E. Romeo says:
The original reviewer said nothing about paranormal, that was people "reading into" what she was saying. Nothing in what she stated would lead you to believe she didn't read it.

I thought it was a bit harsh and yes her description of the "story" left a little to be desired, but I don't think she was very far off base. Much like how an book gets turned into an action movie, and because of the time constraints they try to cram too much into too little space that things just go from amazing to totally disbelievable, there was certainly some of that in this book and it is easy to just give up and say, "C'mon... Really?"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›