Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for a Nikon D4 and iPad!, January 30, 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-MR3040 3G/4G Wireless N150 Portable Router, Battery Powered, AP/WISP/Router Mode, Compatible with Selected ATT/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile USB Modems (Personal Computers)
I was trying to avoid purchasing the expensive WT-5A ($599) that Nikon suggests using to control/view a Nikon D4 camera. I came across this and rolled the dice. After several hours I finally got it to work with my Nikon D4. Just make sure the router is in AP mode (there are 4 modes). It took me a while to set this up because A. I'm not an expert on wireless and B. Neither TP nor Nikon had any knowledge or using this in conjunction with my camera, so I was on my own. TP is sitting on a gold mine and doesn't even know it - they should be marketing this to the D4 crowd.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2013 2:45:43 PM PST
Chad Coleman says:
@Dave - Using in conjunction with an Eye-Fi card? Currently have Eye-Fi and iPad with Shuttersnitch rolling on a regular wifi source, but want to take it out and about with a battery operated wifi source. Thanks for your thoughts. Great to hear it rolls for ya!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:42:33 PM PST
Dave Shocker says:
I don't use an Eye Fi card because my camera only takes XQD and Compact Flash cards. Eye Fi's do work great though.

I've got the modem plugged into the camera's ethernet outlet.

Basically this modem creates a signal from the camera to the iPad where (using Nikon software) I can control it and view photos I've just taken. I don't know if it would work in your situation but I hope it does. If so, I'd love to know because my dad uses Eye Fi cards.

Good luck!

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 3:09:10 PM PST
Menlo Jim says:
Here is an integrated wireless DSLR camera control solution CamRanger Remote Nikon & Canon DSLR Camera Controller, Wireless Camera Control from iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch that appears to be based on this WiFi router.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 3:15:33 PM PST
Dave Shocker says:
The CamRanger is great - although it does the exact same thing as this TP-Link router (but costs about 7 times more). CamRanger $299, TP Link 30/40 $47

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:52:58 AM PST
J. L. Mattox says:
Do you know if this is possible using a D3s? I know the D3s doesn't have and ethernet port, but CamRanger seems to do without using it by using a USB connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 9:08:14 AM PST
Dave Shocker says:
This is a good question and one I need to look into. I was asked the same about the D7000 but I haven't tried to connect it with that camera yet.

The D4's menu allows you to set up a network connection and it assigns an IP address to the camera. I may be wording this wrong as I'm not an expert in this area. Anyway, if the D3 has the same capability it may work. My D7K doesn't have that capability to my knowledge. Good luck and let me know if you can.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:23:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 4:23:55 PM PST
Jt says:
Dave
This is great. Can this be connected to Canon 50D? On camranger website it shows 50D is compatible with camranger and they use same TP link router.
Any one tried ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:30:28 PM PST
Jayasree,

Does the 50D have an ethernet connection? That's how I'm connecting my camera to the router. If it does, I would assume that it would work but I'm not familiar with Canon cameras or the software. Good luck and let us know!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 2:44:46 PM PST
G. Johnson says:
Dave, you say Nikon software to control it, I assume you mean in camera software, correct?
Also is this device only for live viewing? No control like a Camera ranger?
Also wondering if I can use shutter snitch.
Thanks for your post and your help, you saved me a tone of cash.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 3:57:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 3:58:15 PM PST
Dave Shocker says:
Yes, I use the software that comes with (inside) the camera. It opens up as soon as you type in the IP address of the camera in the browser. Yes, it does control the camera - you can change iso, white balance, focus, etc. The D4 comes with that built in software, ie its not something that I installed. With all that said, 99% of the time I use the camera controls right on the camera and just look at the results on the iPad. I suppose if I were in a remote situation (and had to continuously change camera settings) I'd use the control on the iPad but I'm not sure what the range is on this router.

Hope this helps.