Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon April 11, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am an amateur magician, the word amateur means that I love the art of magic however it is not how I make my living. I began studying magic at age 46, nearly twenty years ago. I have made friends with several hundred magicians in the last twenty years. Many of the performers Alex Stone writes about are people I know personally, others are folks I know about. The magic fraternity, and it is mostly a boys club, is small. Everyone gets to know about everyone else. I enjoyed reading about Alex Stone's journey in magic. It is clear that he is still a person at the first level that is called a Trickster by one of Stone's favorite teachers. Stone shows you a glimse of what it is like in the world of magic without revealing any of the secrets magicians protect. The only way for you to enjoy magic is because a master or sage in the art of magic has taught young up and coming performers how to become a master performer. I could not tell whether Alex Stone wants to be a magician or a writer. The magicians he studied with Richard Turner, Eugene Burger, Whit "Pop" Haydn, and The Magus, Jeff McBride have reached the sage level, they perform but more important they show those who desire to become magicians what it means to be in the top ranks of this art. This book will probably not be enjoyed by other magicians, they will see Stone as a magic wannabe; however laypeople will enjoy Stone's artful story telling. Stone tells a good story and he has a wicked sense of humor. I will talk to my magician friends about this book, but I suspect they will use their reading time to study master magicians theory of magic rather than a gossipy story about some of their magician friends.

I enjoyed the story telling. I wish he had written more about science, mathematics, and physics. The marriage of science and magic is a driving force in this book. I hoped for more stories about this marriage, especially the pyschology of "misdirection." Thank you Alex Stone for sharing your story.
0Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?