Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good overall, November 18, 2009
Before purchasing this .995 headset, I read many reviews here on Amazon and also had a chance to try a few wire versions from other companies (mainly Logitech). In general, I am quite pleased with this Plantronics headset and have excellent feedback from colleagues that listen to me on the other end of conference calls.
Positives:
Sound quality > I spend hours each day on international conference calls. People on the calls use a variety of headsets with a variety of quality levels. Consistently, I am told that my voice is always clear and of highest quality. The sound quality on my side listening to the others is of course limited by their end, but I have had no complaints. I often listen to the radio over the Internet (after meetings) and find the quality to exceed my FM stereo for the same radio station.
Wireless connection > Since Bluetooth is NOT used, the range exceeds my normal mobile phone and earpiece combination. I can easily roam beyond 12 feet from the base with no issue even moving between rooms. I did add a USB cable extension which allowed me to place the USB dongle on a shelf approx 4 feet above my PC. Doing this allowed me to boost roaming range to up to 20 feet (depending on the number of walls between me and the base). VERY nice!
Battery life > I have been able to consistently use the headset purely on battery with either constant radio or phone calls for over 8 hrs. The first day I used it, I exceeded 9 hrs before it died. One thing I have on hand for recharge is an old AC to USB power adapter. For recharge, I do not have to connect to the PC and instead use this direct AC which seem to charge at a higher rate than standard PC USB? Not sure, but recharge time after battery dies seems quick to me!
Comfort > overall, the wireless unit is heavier than a wired unit due to the battery. I expected this and it is not a big problem for me. I compared to a Logitech wired unit and found the bulk and the weight of this Plantronic wireless to not be a LOT more than the Logitech wired one.

Negatives:
Comfort > First an admission - I have a big head. My hat size is 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 depending on when I last had a haircut. This Plantronic headset does tend to press in on my ears a bit. After 3-4 hrs on the phone, I certainly notice the pressure. Removing the headset really shows how much it was pressing! When I am wearing my glasses, I have noticed the ear cuff presses the arms of the glasses into my head almost painfully. I have to adjust my glasses often. I suspect this would be a common problem for any headset that features over the ear fit. I do not like on-ear headsets since those seem to hurt my ears even more! Just be aware of this issue if you wear glasses always.
AC power when battery is dead > I do wish there was a way to connect to power and continue use when the battery is dead. It would be ok if there was no charging during this time. I can charge it later. I just would like continued use while temporarily "wired" on AC.
Transport > The unit does not fold down very much at all. Packing this up and taking it in my pack with my laptop is not very easy. The headset ends up needing a lot of space simply because it does not fold up much from the normal use configuration. Compare this to a Bose headset which at least will lie flat because the ear cups can turn. Some design improvement in this area would be nice to see in a future version. If you travel often and need to take your headset with you, you might want to consider the extra packing space for this Plantronics unit.

Summary: I would definately purchase this one again! Despite the negatives, a very good choice for me (and my big head). I have had many colleagues on conference calls ask me what I am using since the quality is very good and they too have bought one now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]