Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by us the duo Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 5, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Agnes's Jacket. Being that Ms. Hornstein is a Mount Holyoke college professor, I was concerned that it might be quite technical and dry, but it was anything but that. Agnes's Jacket is a thought provoking analysis of the lives of people who hear voices, suffer from depression and a variety of other devastating psychological problems and how they have been treated medically in the US versus the UK. Ms. Hornstein makes a convincing case that in the UK, where self-help groups are more prevalent and medication is less prescribed, the ill seem to have a safer place to manage their illnesses and therefore have better, and even more normal lives.
As I read the book, I kept on thinking of different people in my life who would benefit from reading it. Agnes's Jacket also made me think of all of the people who I see daily (I work in NYC)who may be suffering from some of these afflictions, and it makes me think about the hardships in their lives.
Agnes's Jacket was a really wonderful book to read and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I've already passed it on at work to have others read it. It would be a great book to read and discuss in a book club.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?