Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but some quibbles, September 23, 2005
This review is from: The Complete New Yorker: Eighty Years of the Nation's Greatest Magazine (Book & 8 DVD-ROMs) (Hardcover)
It's wonderful to have the entire run of the New Yorker at my fingertips. One can only marvel at all the time and effort that went into this project. I'm thankful and impressed.

After using it for a couple of days, here are some comments:

1) Swapping DVDs is more inconvenient than I'd expected. I'm an informational grazer, and I'll sometimes want to dip into something that's on a different DVD from the one currently in the computer. I might take a spare DVD wallet and put the New Yorker DVDs in it so I don't have to open the heavy hardcover book (which contains the DVDs) each time I want to swap disks. As a previous reviewer states, it would be great to be able to install all the data on one's hard drive. Using the New Yorker DVDs is not quite as smooth as using the Web. (I guess we've been spoiled.)

A couple of times, when I've swapped DVDs, the application hangs while trying to read the new disk. I'm not sure why.

2) The search function is not totally intuitive. The author/department/year/issue search works completely differently from the keyword search, and when you're trying to use them together, it's not easy to figure out what you're doing.

3) For some reason I can't access the issue of February 20, 1989, although I can access other issues on the disk that contains it. I don't know if it's just a defective disk or if this is the case with all copies.

4) I wish I could print just the text of an article without the cartoons and ads if I wanted. Some articles are spread over an unnecessarily large number of magazine pages, because some of those pages contain only one column of actual text. And on printouts, the text resolution (even of more recent issues) is not as crisp as in an actual copy of the magazine. Basically, it would be nice to be able to print out the text of an article as a Word document or something similar. (I think this is not possible for legal reasons, though.)

5) I wish there were an intermediate viewing size between Fit Width and 100%. The former is too big but the latter is sometimes too small. PDF files are incredibly resizable, but these files are not.

Since the New Yorker is planning to issue a new Disc 1 every year (which contains the table of contents and the main installation materials), they can hopefully fix some of the search problems or make the interface smoother.

These are all quibbles, though. I don't want to overlook the wonderful fact that I now have access to all of the New Yorker from my own computer. This is a terrific resource.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2010 12:52:47 PM PDT
In case any New Yorker fans hesitate to "risk" 30-odd bucks (or less, in April 2010) on this fabulous product, let me offer a bit more:

If you're cheap, like me, you might note that in terms of pennies/hour, this DVD set trumps the usual loss-leader - garage sale books - this is particularly true if you read from the screen. Even if you print - with a laserjet - your cost is about $1/100 pages - now not so competitive with garage sale books, but if you print on the back of already printed paper you're at $0.50/100 pgs.

One of the first things I did, with the latest (#8) disk, was to search the cartoons under "doctors". The black humor that this yielded was incredibly funny.

I agree that the software has issues, but in the end, the contect is what really counts.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 3:45:13 AM PDT
Eusebius says:
This is a good review. The points you bring up are excellent and I agree with your concern about them so I wonder why you would give them 5 stars instead of an actually deserved 4 or 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:49:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 21, 2012 3:52:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 7:25:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2016 9:52:08 AM PDT
I just installed this (to read "The Swimmer") and had no problems with W7P64. It was bought from The New Yorker after being remaindered, so it's probably a late or final version in which (most of) the problems had been resolved.

I agree the search engine is less than forthcoming in providing useful information (such as story titles). I had to list all of Cheever's 1964 contributions, then click on each to find "The Swimmer". There's no excuse for that.

This stands in sharp contrast with Broderbund's CD version of MAD Magazine, one of the finest pieces of software, of any sort, I have ever seen. You have no trouble finding what you want, quickly and easily.

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 9:01:33 PM PDT
sky says:
February 20, 1989.....I remember that day, quite well actually....and let me tell you, absolutely nothing of note happened that day.....so you are quite lucky that the disc didn't glitch on some important date . ...( my apologies if something really cool like the birth of your first grandchild was that day )

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 1:42:11 AM PDT
Wade Dizdar says:
A music fan, my first Complete DVD experience was a positive one, with Rolling Stone's 40 years; the discounted cost was comparable (remaindered) though with Bondi as publisher they have maintained Service Package application updates, so that you may use them with any Windows version--or Mac--and save to hard drive, etc. with amazing speed.
Maybe with the availability of Windows 10, someone looks into such updating for The New Yorker... yes, the New Yorker!!

Posted on Aug 9, 2016 7:46:05 AM PDT
Beethoven says:
this needs Windows XP, so is a non-starter unless you have an old computer with this old software.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2016 9:53:54 AM PDT
No, it doesn't. As I noted, the copy I received runs fine under W7P64.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›